四签名(MP3+中英字幕) 第115期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(25)
日期:2017-01-17 12:03

(单词翻译:单击)

'It's all up, Morstan,' he was saying as they passed my hut.
经过我的茅屋的时候,他和上尉说道:'摩斯坦,怎么办?
'I shall have to send in my papers. I am a ruined man.'
我可毁了,我得辞职了。'
'Nonsense, old chap!' said the other, slapping him upon the shoulder.
上尉拍着他的肩道:'老兄,没有什么了不起,
'I've had a nasty facer myself, but...'
比这更糟糕的情况我也有过呢,可是....'
That was all I could hear, but it was enough to set me thinking.
我只能听到这些,可是,这已经够让我动脑筋的了。
A couple of days later Major Sholto was strolling on the beach: so I took the chance of speaking to him.
两天以后,当舒尔托少校正在海滨散步的时候,我趁机走上前去和他说话。

福尔摩斯探案集 四签名

'I wish to have your advice, Major,' said I.
我道:'少校,我有事向您请教。'
'Well, Small, what is it?' he asked, taking his cheroot from his lips.
他拿开口里衔着的雪茄烟,问道:'斯茂,什么事?'
'I wanted to ask you, sir,' said I, 'who is the proper person to whom hidden treasure should be handed over.
我道:'先生,我要请教您,如果有埋藏的宝物,应当交给谁比较合适呢?
I know where half a million worth lies, and, as I cannot use it myself,
我知道一批价值五十万镑的宝物埋藏的地点;既然我自己不能使用,
I thought perhaps the best thing that I could do would be to hand it over to the proper authorities,
我想最好还是把它交给有关的当局,
and then perhaps they would get my sentence shortened for me.'
说不定他们会缩短我的刑期呢。'
'Half a million, Small?' he gasped, looking hard at me to see if I was in earnest.
他吸了口气,死盯着我,看看我是否在说真话,然后问道:'斯茂,五十万镑?'
'Quite that, sir–in jewels and pearls. It lies there ready for anyone.
'先生,一点儿也不错,五十万镑现成的珠宝,随时可以到手。
And the queer thing about it is that the real owner is outlawed and cannot hold property,
奇怪的是原主已经犯罪远逃,
so that it belongs to the first comer.'
捷足的人就可以得到。'
'To government, Small,' he stammered, 'to government.'
他结巴着说道:'应当交政府,斯茂,应当交政府。'
But he said it in a halting fashion, and I knew in my heart that I had got him.
他的口气很不坚定,我心里明白,他已上了我的圈套了。

分享到
重点单词
  • shouldern. 肩膀,肩部 v. 扛,肩负,承担,(用肩)推挤
  • propertyn. 财产,所有物,性质,地产,道具
  • haltingadj. 跛的,踌躇的 动词halt的现在分词形式