四签名(MP3+中英字幕) 第70期:凶手的末日(3)
日期:2016-08-25 11:43

(单词翻译:单击)

"Well, I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis.
"我利用作化学分析试验的办法使我的脑筋得到了彻底的休息。
One of our greatest statesmen has said that a change of work is the best rest. So it is.
咱们的一位大政治家曾经说过:'改变工作,是最好的休息。'这句话一点儿也不错。
When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at,
当我把溶解碳氢化合物的实验作成功以后,
I came back to our problem of the Sholtos, and thought the whole matter out again.
我就回到舒尔托的问题上面,把这问题重新考虑了一遍。
My boys had been up the river and down the river without result.
我所派遣的孩子们在上下游都搜遍了,也没有结果。
The launch was not at any landing-stage or wharf, nor had it returned.
这只汽船既没有停泊在任何码头上又没有回转,
Yet it could hardly have been scuttled to hide their traces, though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed.
也不太象为了灭迹而自沉——如果实在找不着,当然这还算是个可能的假设。

福尔摩斯探案集 四签名

I knew that this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning,
我知道斯茂多少有些狡猾的伎俩,
but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse.
可是我认为他不可能有那样周密的手段。
That is usually a product of higher education.
他没有受过多少教育
I then reflected that since he had certainly been in London some time
他既然在伦郭居住过相当久
as we had evidence that he maintained a continual watch over Pondicherry Lodge
这一点由他对樱沼别墅侦伺了很久的事实就可以证明,
he could hardly leave at a moment's notice, but would need some little time, if it were only a day, to arrange his affairs.
他不可能不需要一个短时间——哪怕是一天——作些准备,方能离开他的巢穴远行。
That was the balance of probability, at any rate."
无论如何,这是一个可能性。"
"It seems to me to be a little weak," said I;
我道:"我看这个可能性不太大,
"it is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition."
恐怕他在行动以前早已作了远行的准备。"

分享到
重点单词
  • capableadj. 有能力的,足以胜任的,有 ... 倾向的
  • finessen. 精密技巧,灵巧,策略,偷牌 v. 用计谋处理,耍诡
  • probabilityn. 可能性,或然率,机率
  • continualadj. 不断的,频繁的
  • thoroughadj. 彻底的,完全的,详尽的,精心的
  • delicaten. 精美的东西 adj. 精美的,微妙的,美味的,纤细
  • hypothesisn. 假设,猜测,前提
  • evidencen. 根据,证据 v. 证实,证明
  • cunningadj. 狡猾的,有眼光的,精巧的,可爱的 n. 狡诈,
  • analysisn. 分析,解析