四签名(MP3+中英字幕) 第113期:琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(23)
日期:2017-01-10 11:45

(单词翻译:单击)

It is a dreary, fever-stricken place, and all beyond our little clearings was infested with wild cannibal natives,
那岛上是可怕的热病流行的区域,离我们不远就有吃人的生番部落,
who were ready enough to blow a poisoned dart at us if they saw a chance.
生番们一有机会就向我们施放毒刺。
There was digging and ditching and yam-planting, and a dozen other things to be done, so we were busy enough all day;
在那里整天忙于开垦,挖沟和种薯蓣,还有许多其他杂差,
though in the evening we had a little time to ourselves.
到夜晚我们才能有些闲暇。
Among other things, I learned to dispense drugs for the surgeon, and picked up a smattering of his knowledge.
我还学会了为外科医师调剂配方,对外科的技术也学得一知半解了。
All the time I was on the lookout for a chance to escape;
我时时刻刻在寻找逃走的机会,
but it is hundreds of miles from any other land,
可是这里离任何大陆都有几百英里远,
and there is little or no wind in those seas: so it was a terribly difficult job to get away.
而且在附近一带海面上风很小,甚至没有风。因此,要想逃跑真是万难。

福尔摩斯探案集 四签名

The surgeon, Dr. Somerton, was a fast, sporting young chap,
外科医师萨莫吞是一个活泼而喜欢玩乐的青年,
and the other young officers would meet in his rooms of an evening and play cards.
每天晚上常有驻军的青年军官们到他家去玩牌赌钱。
The surgery, where I used to make up my drugs, was next to his sitting-room, with a small window between us.
我配药的外科手术室和他的客厅只有一墙之隔,有一个小窗相通。
Often, if I felt lonesome, I used to turn out the lamp in the surgery,
我在手术室里有时觉得苦闷,常常把手术室的灯熄灭了,
and then, standing there, I could hear their talk and watch their play.
站在窗前听他们谈话,看他们赌钱。
I am fond of a hand at cards myself, and it was almost as good as having one to watch the others.
我自己本来也好玩牌,在一旁看看也很过牌瘾。
There was Major Sholto, Captain Morstan, and Lieutenant Bromley Brown,
常常在一起的有舒尔托少校、摩斯坦上尉和布罗姆利·布劳恩中尉
who were in command of the native troops, and there was the surgeon himself,
他们负责带领土人军队,还有这位医师本人,
and two or three prison-officials, crafty old hands who played a nice sly safe game.
此外还有两三个司狱的官员。这几个官员是玩牌的老手,赌技很精。
A very snug little party they used to make.
他们几个人凑成一伙,玩起来倒也痛快。

分享到