(单词翻译:单击)
I also notice another interesting thing about this.
关于这一点,我还发现了另一个有趣的现象 。
It seems women are much more likely to do this kind of thing than men.
女性似乎比男性更有可能做出这种动作 。
I mean women are more likely to make themselves small.
我的意思是,女性更有可能让自己变小 。
Women feel chronically less powerful than men, so this is not surprising.
女性总感觉自己的力量比男性弱,因此这并不令人惊讶 。
The second question concerns our minds.
第二个问题是关于我们的意识 。
We know that our minds change our bodies.
我们知道,我们的意识会改变我们的身体 。
But is it also true that our bodies change our minds?
但我们的身体也可以改变我们的意识吗?
And when I say minds, in the case of the powerful, what do I mean?
当我说到意识的时候,以强大的力量为例,这是什么意思呢?
I'm talking about thoughts and feelings and the sort of physiological things that make up our thoughts and feelings,
我在说想法和感觉,以及组成我们想法和感觉的生理上的东西,
and in my case, that's hormones.
就这件事而言,是指激素 。
I look at hormones.
我来讲讲激素 。
So what do the minds of the powerful versus the powerless look like?
那么,强大的人的意识与无力的人的意识看起来是怎样的呢?
Powerful people tend to be, not surprisingly, more assertive and more confident, more optimistic.
毫无疑问,强大的人往往更加坚定、自信而乐观 。
They actually feel that they're going to win even at games of chance.
事实上,他们感觉自己会胜利,即使在博弈中也会如此 。
They also tend to be able to think more abstractly.
他们往往还具有抽象思维 。
They take more risks.
他们会冒更多的险 。
So there are a lot of differences between powerful and powerless people.
因此,强大和无力的人有许多不同之处 。
Physiologically, there also are differences on two key hormones: one is dominance hormone, and the other is stress hormone.
从生理上来说,在两种关键激素中有许多不同:一个是主导性激素,另一种是皮质醇 。
What we find is that powerful and effective leaders have high dominance hormone and low stress hormone.
我们发现,强大且有效率的领导含主导性激素较高,而含皮质醇较低 。
What does that mean?
这意味着什么呢?
That means power is also about how you react to stress.
这意味着,力量还与你如何应对压力有关 。
Once we did an experiment.
我们做过一个实验 。
We decided to bring people into the lab and run that little experiment.
我们决定带一些人走进实验室做个小实验 。
These people adopted, for two minutes, either high-power poses or low-power poses.
这些人有的摆出强有力的姿势,有的摆出无力的姿势,时长都是2分钟 。
We, for two minutes, say, "You need to do this or this."
“你需要摆出这个姿势或这个姿势 。”这句话我们说了2分钟 。
And we also want them to be feeling power.
我们还想让他们感受到力量 。
So after two minutes we will ask them "How powerful do you feel?" on a series of items, and then we give them an opportunity to gamble.
因此,2分钟后,我们会就一系列的事项问他们:“你们感觉有多少力量?”,然后我们给他们一个赌博的机会 。
Before and after the experiment, we take their samples of saliva for a hormone test.
实验前后,我们取他们的唾液样本进行激素试验 。
That's the whole experiment.
这就是整个实验过程 。
And this is what we have found -- risk tolerance, which is gambling.
这就是我们发现的结果——风险承受能力,也就是赌博 。
What we find is that when you're in the high-power pose condition, 86 percent of you will gamble.
我们发现,当你摆出强有力的姿势时,你有86%的可能性会赌博 。
When you're in the low-power pose condition, it's down to only 60 percent, and that's a pretty significant difference.
当你摆出无力的姿势时,这个百分比会下降到仅60%,这是一个非常显著的差异 。