听电影《勇敢的心》学英语第19期:时髦的战争
日期:2012-07-25 10:02

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight.
上天说这是场时髦的战争。  
It's drawn the finest people.
吸引了最好的人。  
Where is thy salute?
你的礼仪呢?  
For presenting yourselves on this battlefield.
对你亲自现身此战场。  
I give you thanks.
我向你致谢。  
To join it, you give homage.
来加入效忠。  
This is our army.
这是我们的军队。  
I give homage to Scotland.
我向苏格兰效忠。  
and if this is your army...
这若是你的军队。  
why does it go?
他们为何离开?  
We didn't come here to fight for them!
我们来此不是为他们出战。  
Home!The English are too many.
回家!英格兰军太多兵了。  
Sons of Scotland...
苏格兰之子。  
I am William Wallace.
我是威廉华莱士。  
William Wallace is 7 feet tall.
威廉华莱士有七英尺高。  
He kills men by the hundreds.
他杀人数以百计。  
and if he were here, he'd consume the English.
他若在此,他会消灭英格兰军的。  
with fireballs from his eyes.
他眼睛可以冒火球。  
and bolts of lightning from his arse.
屁股会放雷电。  
I am William Wallace.
我是威廉华莱士。  
and I see a whole army of my countrymen.
我看到我民族组成的军队。  
here in defiance of tyranny.
向暴政宣战。  
You've come to fight as free men.
你们作战是为解放人民。  
And free men you are.
你们自己也将自由。  
What will you do with that freedom?
若没有自由能怎么办?  
Will you fight?
你们愿意作战吗?
No! No!
不! 不! 
No! No!
不! 不!  
Against that?No!
对抗那?不!  
We will run, and we will live.
我们会逃开,我们会活。  
Fight, and you may die.
作战,可能会战死。  
Run, and you'll live...
逃开,能活着。  
at least awhile.
至少一阵子。

妙语佳句
1.salute
n. 致敬,欢迎;敬礼
vt. 行礼致敬,欢迎
例如:
It is time now to forget all that and salute the miraculous boy who will triumph over death as Dionysos did, becoming immortal through his art.
现在,是时候忘记所有这一切,向这位神奇的男孩致敬,他会和狄厄尼索斯一样,通过死而大获成功,通过他的艺术而不朽。
2.homage
敬意;尊敬;效忠
give homage to
向...效忠
例如:
The custom of kissing today, as well as in ancient times, serves to show respect, and to pay homage to another.
现在的接吻习俗,与古代一样,表现出尊敬和效忠他人。
3.consume
vt. 消耗,消费;使…著迷;挥霍
vi. 耗尽,毁灭;耗尽生命
例如:
We have no right to consume happiness without producing it than to consume

wealth without producing it. ——G. B. Shaw.
我们没有权利去毁灭幸福除非我们去制造它,没有权利去毁灭财富除非我们去制造它。
4.in defiance of
不顾,无视
例如:
In defiance of UN sanctions, Iran enriched uranium to 20%, the level at which it can move fast to the 90% level required for providing material for a nuclear bomb.
伊朗无视联合国的制裁,将浓缩铀浓度提高至20%,这一浓度水平使伊朗能够迅速达到制造原子弹所需原料的90%水平。
5.tyranny
暴政;专横;严酷;残暴的行为(需用复数)
例如:
If freedom is right and tyranny wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?
接着写到“如果自由是正确的,专制是错误的,那么为什么那些信仰自由的人把它看成是一卷粗香肠并且不时的讨价还价般的切一片?”
考考你
翻译:
1.上天说这是场时髦的战争。    
2.我看到我民族组成的军队。      
上期答案:
1.We're outnumbered, at least three to one.
2.Sure didn't the Almighty send me to watch your back?

分享到
重点单词
  • lightningn. 闪电 adj. 闪电般的,快速的 vi. 打闪
  • slicen. 薄片,切片 vt. 切成薄片,削
  • salutev. 行礼,致意,问候
  • tyrannyn. 暴政,苛政,专制
  • defiancen. 蔑视,违抗,挑衅
  • fashionableadj. 流行的,时髦的
  • consumev. 消耗,花费,挥霍
  • triumphn. 凯旋,欢欣 vi. 得胜,成功,庆功