看电影学英语《社交网络》第28期:哈佛的“法律”
日期:2015-01-20 20:30

(单词翻译:单击)

剧本欣赏



He's expanding.

他在扩张

What?

什么?

He's expanding to Yale, Columbia and Stanford.

他在往耶鲁,哥伦比亚和斯坦福扩张

It's gonna be in The Crimson tomorrow.

校报明天就会刊登

- Really? - Yep.

- 真的? - 对

Well, looks like that cease-and-desist letter really scared the shit out of him, huh?

你的制止令还真他妈有用啊?

I wanna hire a lawyer to file for injunctive relief and get the site taken down now.

我要请律师告他,我要网站立刻下线

Every minute the site is up, Harvard Connection becomes less valuable.

他的网站每存在一分钟 哈佛连线就失去一份价值

I want an injunction. I want damages. I want punitive relief.

我要阻止他,要他赔钱,要他坐牢

And I want him dead.

我要他死

Yeah, I want those things, too.

我也这么希望

Then why aren't we doing anything about it?

那为什么还不行动?

Because we're gentlemen of Harvard?

就因为我们在哈佛有头有脸?

No, it's because you're not thinking how it's gonna look.

你也不想想这样有多难看

How's it gonna look?

怎么难看了?

Like my brother and I are in skeleton costumes

好比我和我弟弟穿着骷髅社服

chasing the Karate Kid around a high school gym.

在高中体育场里追一个功夫小子

Cam, he's violated Massachusetts state law.

卡梅伦,他违反了马塞诸塞州立法

When he goes to Connecticut, New York and California,

如果他在康涅狄格州 纽约州或是加利福尼亚

he'll have violated federal law.

他就违反了联邦法

And, by the way, he's in violation of Harvard law.

再说,他也违反了哈佛的法规

There's no such thing as Harvard law.

哈佛没有什么法规

Wait. Yeah, there is.

等等,有了

Harvard Student Handbook.

哈佛学生行为手册

Every freshman is issued one of these, and somewhere in this book it says...

每个新生都会拿到一本手册 上面有这样一条…

You can't steal from another student.

学生之间不可偷窃

This is what we needed. We're going to Summers.

这正是我们需要的,该去见见萨默斯了

Well, you can't get a meeting with Larry Summers.

你不可能见到拉瑞萨默斯

My brother and I, we pay tuition at this school.

我们来这所学校是交了学费的

We carry a 3.9 GPA at this school. We've won trophies for this school.

我们学习成绩优异 帮学校赢了那么多奖杯

And we'll be rowing in the Olympics for this school.

我们还会代表哈佛参加奥运会

I want a meeting with the goddamn president of this school.

我要和这位校长好好谈谈

Why Stanford?

为什么有斯坦福?

Why do you think?

你说为什么呢?


重点解析

重点讲解:

desist

vi. 停止;断念

The seniors were demonstrating on campus and were asked to desist.

高年级的学生在校园示威,校方叫他们停止示威。

injunctive

adj. 命令的;指令的;禁止令

The problem with the anti-littering campaign then is that its descriptive norm is counterproductive to its injunctive norm.

这种反对乱丢垃圾的运动的下一个问题在于它的描述性规范对其命令性规范是起反效果的

skeleton

n. 骨架,骨骼;纲要;骨瘦如柴的人

adj. 骨骼的;骨瘦如柴的;概略的

The skeleton showed no sign of disease or injury.

其骨架显示没有任何疾病或是外伤。

分享到
重点单词
  • injunctionn. 指令,命令,强制令
  • campaignn. 运动,活动,战役,竞选运动 v. 从事运动,参加竞
  • skeletonn. 骨架,纲要,骨骼,骨瘦如柴的人或动物,家丑 adj
  • valuableadj. 贵重的,有价值的 n. (pl.)贵重物品
  • counterproductiveadj. 反生产的;使达不到预期目标的
  • violationn. 违反,违背,妨碍
  • descriptiveadj. 描述的,叙述的 [计算机] 描述性的
  • expanding扩展的,扩充的
  • normn. 标准,规范
  • reliefn. 减轻,解除,救济(品), 安慰,浮雕,对比 adj