(单词翻译:单击)
Three Hundred Years Ago
三百年前
This story tells about children who lived in our country a long time ago.
这则故事讲述了很久以前生活在我们国家的一群孩子,
As you read, find out if you would like to have lived in those early days.
阅读这则故事的时候,想想你愿不愿意生活在那时候 。
"Here's a letter for you, Mary," called Mother.
玛丽,这有你的一封信,妈妈叫道 。
"Isn't there one for me?" asked Peter.
没有我的信吗?彼得问道 。
"Just for Mary this time," Mother answered.
这次只有玛丽的,妈妈回答 。
"Oh, it's from Grandmother," said Mary happily, as she opened the letter and began to read,
哦,是外祖母来的信 。玛丽开心的说,她一边说一边打开信读了起来,
"Dear Mary: "I am sending you something very, very old—about three hundred years old.
亲爱的玛丽,我给你寄了一件非常古老的东西,大约有300年的历史了 。
It was made by a girl named Polly Winters, when Polly was about as old as you are.
这是一个叫做波利·温特斯的女孩做的,当时她大概和你一样大 。
Polly grew up, as girls do, and became your great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother.
波利就像其他女孩一样长大了,然后成了你的七世祖母 。
When she was a little girl, she made the thing that you will find in the package.
她还是小姑娘的时候就做了这东西,你会在包裹中找到它 。
Your mother will tell you what it is. I told her about it when she was a little girl.
你妈妈会告诉你那是什么 。在她还是小姑娘的时候,我就跟她说过 。
"With love to you and Peter and Mother, from "GRANDMOTHER"
爱你、彼得和你妈妈的,外祖母 。
"What can it be, Mother?" asked Mary.
妈妈那会是什么呢?玛丽问道 。
"I don't know, Mary," Mother answered. "We shall have to wait and see."
玛丽,我也不知道,我们要等等看了 。妈妈回答说 。
They didn't have to wait long, for the package came that afternoon.
她们没等多久,包裹当天下午就到了 。
Mary opened it, and took out a piece of cloth that looked very old.
玛丽打开了包裹,拿出了一块看起来非常古老的布 。
"Oh!" said Mother. "I do remember hearing about this when I was a little girl."
哦,我确实记得小时候听说过这个,妈妈说 。
"What is it, Mother?" asked Mary.
妈妈,这是什么?玛丽问道 。
"It's a sample of sewing. In Polly's day all little girls were taught to sew.
这是一件刺绣的样本,在波利所处那个的年代,姑娘们都要学绣花 。
When a girl could make very nice stitches, she sewed the letters of the alphabet or a picture on a piece of cloth.
女孩能绣出漂亮的针脚的时候,她就会在一块布上绣上一些字母或是一幅图案 。
Then if anyone asked how well the little girl could sew, her mother would show the piece of cloth, which was called a sampler.
如果有人问到小姑娘绣花绣得怎么样,她的妈妈就会展示这块布,而这块布就叫作绣样 。