(单词翻译:单击)
At dinner, Mother said to Father, "I have been telling Peter and Mary about the things boys and girls had to do when Polly made the sampler."
晚饭的时候,妈妈跟爸爸说,我跟彼得和玛丽讲了波利制作绣样,那个年代男孩和女孩要做的事情 。
"Did you tell them that children of long ago did not always sit down to eat?" asked Father.
你跟他们说了很久以前,孩子们往往不做下来吃饭了,爸爸问到 。
"They didn't stand, did they?" asked Peter.
他们不会是站着吃的吧?彼得问道 。
"Yes, children usually stood while eating,"answered Mother, "Sometimes they stood back of the older people and sometimes at a side-table."
是的,那时的孩子们经常是站着吃饭的,妈妈回答说,有时他们站在长辈的后面,有时是站在茶几旁 。
"I wouldn't like that," said Mary.
我可不想那样,玛丽说 。
"I wouldn't either," said Peter.
我也不想,彼得说 。
"But even the people who sat down to eat were not very comfortable," laughed Father.
但即使坐下来吃饭也不是很舒服 。父亲笑着说 。
"Sometimes their tables and chairs were nothing but long, narrow boards laid across other boards."
有时他们的桌子和椅子不过是又长又窄的板子相互垒在一起而已 。
"Did the people in those days have tablecloths?" asked Mary.
那时候的人们用桌布吗?玛丽问道 。
"Oh, yes," Mother answered, "They had fine linen cloths and napkins, made from flax grown on their farms.
用啊,妈妈回答说,他们有上好的亚麻桌布和餐巾,这些都是用他们农场上生长的亚麻制作的 。
Many of the people made all the cloth they needed for bedding, clothes, and table linen.
他们所有的床上用品、衣物和桌布都是自己做的 。
But of course they only used their fine table linens when someone came to visit them."
当然他们只有在有人来拜访的时候才会用最好的桌布 。
"People worked very hard in those early days," said Father, "and the children had to help, too."
那时候的人们工作很勤奋,孩子们也需要去帮忙,父亲说 。
"I'd rather live now than when Polly did," said Peter.
我更想生活在现在而不是波利生活的那个年代,彼得说 。
"So would I," said Mary.
我也是,玛丽说 。
"Then who will help me wash dishes?" asked Mother.
那谁来帮我洗盘子呢?妈妈问 。
"We will," said Mary and Peter together.
我们都愿意,玛丽和彼得一起说到 。