(单词翻译:单击)
I picked a neutral spot on the floor between the two of them and lay down with a sigh, unable to figure out what was going to happen.
我在他们两人之间找了一个中间的地方,叹了口气,躺了下来,不知道接下来会发生什么。
“Two weeks, but . . .” Maya trailed off.
“还有两周,但…”玛雅迟疑了。
“But?” Jakob prompted.
“但是?“雅各布追问道。
“I’m thinking of resigning from the program,” Maya confessed in a rush.
“我在考虑退出这个项目,”玛雅突然坦白道。
“I just can’t keep up. I didn’t realize . . . well, someone else would probably be better.”
“我怎么都跟不上。我之前没有意识到……嗯,其他人可能比我更合适。”
“You can’t do that,” Jakob said.
“你不能放弃,”雅各布说。
I raised my head and looked at him curiously, wondering why he was feeling angry.
我抬起头,好奇地看着他,不知道他为什么生气。
“You can’t keep switching handlers on a dog. Ellie is the best dog anyone has ever seen.
“你不要再给爱丽换主人了。爱丽是我见过的最好的狗。
You dump her like that, you could ruin her. Wally says the two of you have a rapport.”
如果你丢下她,你会毁了她的。沃利说你们俩关系很好。”
I thumped my tail a little at my name and Wally’s being mentioned by Jakob, but his tone was still very stern.
听到雅各布提到我的名字和沃利的时候,我微微甩了甩尾巴,不过,他的语气仍然很严厉。
“I’m just not cut out for it physically, Jakob,” Maya said.
玛雅说:“雅各布,我想退出并不只是因为身体的原因。”
I could feel anger stirring in her, too.
我也能感觉到玛雅在生气。
“I’m not an ex-Marine; I’m just a beat cop who can barely pass the physical every year. I’ve been trying, but it is just too hard.”
“我没当过海军;我只是个每年只能勉强通过体测的巡警。我一直在努力,但这件事对我来说太难了。”
“Too hard.”
“真的太难了。”
Jakob glared at her until Maya shrugged and looked away.
雅各布怒视着她,直到玛雅耸耸肩,把目光移开。
Her anger turned to shame, and I went over to her to nuzzle her hand.
她的怒气变成了羞愧,我走过去用鼻子蹭她的手。
“What about how hard it would be on Ellie? Doesn’t that matter?”
“爱丽就不难吗?爱丽的感受不重要吗?”
“Of course it matters.” “You’re saying you’re not willing to work.”
“当然重要。”“所以你就是不愿意工作。”
“I’m saying I’m not cut out for this, Jakob! I don’t have what it takes inside.”
“我是说,我不是干这个的料,雅各布!我缺少做这件事需要的内在。”
“What it takes. Inside.”
“内在需要什么。”
I could sense that Maya was grappling with the rising tide of emotion that sometimes led to a flood of tears.
我能感觉到玛雅在努力处理情绪的涌起,她有时候会在这种情况下崩溃大哭。
I wanted to comfort her and shoved my nose under her hand again.
我想安慰她,于是又把鼻子蹭到她的手里。
When Jakob spoke again, he wasn’t looking at Maya and his voice was quieter.
雅各布又开口了,但这次他没有看向玛雅,声音也更小了一些。
