(单词翻译:单击)
Chapter Nineteen
第十九章
Jakob drove us to a large flat building, where several people were gathered in a circle.
雅各布开车把我们带到一幢很大的公寓前,那里有一些人围成一圈。
I could feel the tension in them as we pulled up.
我们停车时,我能感觉到那些人的紧张情绪。
Jakob came around and petted me but left me in the truck.
雅各布伸出手来摸了摸我,但没有带我一起下车。
“Good dog, Ellie,” he said absently.
“爱丽乖”他心不在焉地说。
I sat and watched him anxiously as he approached the group of people.
他走近那群人,我则坐在车里焦急地看着他。
Several of them spoke at once.
那些人中有几个人率先开腔。
“We didn’t notice her missing until lunch, but we don’t have any idea how long she’s been gone.”
“我们直到吃午饭的时候才发现她不见了,但我们不知道她消失多久了。”
“Marilyn’s an Alzheimer’s patient.”
“玛丽莲是老年痴呆症患者。”
“I don’t understand how she got away with no one seeing.”
“她就这么消失不见了,怎么会谁都没注意到呢,我不明白。”
While I sat there, a squirrel climbed down the trunk of a tree and busied itself foraging for food in the grass.
我坐在那里的时候,一只松鼠从树干上爬了下来,忙着在草丛中寻找食物。
I stared at it, astounded at its audacious disregard for the fact that I, a vicious predator, was a mere ten feet away!
我盯着它看,惊讶于它竟然如此大胆地无视我——一个离它只有十英尺远的凶猛捕食者!
Jakob came to the cage and opened the door.
雅各布来到笼子前,打开了门。
“Heel!” he commanded, giving me no chance to catch the squirrel.
“蹲下!”他发出了指令,看来我没机会去抓那只松鼠了。
I snapped to it: time to work.
我立刻进入状态:开工。
Jakob led me away from the people, to a corner of the front yard of the building.
雅各布牵着我离开了人群,我们来到那栋楼前院的一个角落。
He held out two shirts that smelled reminiscent of Grandma, a little.
他拿出了两件衬衫,味道闻起来有点像伊森的奶奶。
I stuck my nose into the soft cloth, inhaling deeply.
我把鼻子伸进了那柔软的布料里,深深地吸了一口气。
“Ellie. Find!” I took off, running past the knot of people.
”爱丽。开找!”我迈开步子,跑过了那群人。
“She wouldn’t have gone that way,” someone said.
“她不会从这里走的”有人说。
“Let Ellie work,” Jakob replied.
“看看爱丽找的结果吧,”雅各布回答道。
Work.
我开工咯。
I carried the sense memory of the clothing in my mind as I held my nose up to the air, coursing back and forth as I’d been trained.
我抬起头,闻着空气中的味道,我还有通过衣物找人的记忆。我根据自己之前经受的训练,来回搜寻着。
There were a lot of people smells, dog smells, car smells, but I couldn’t Find.
空气中有很多人的气味、狗的气味、汽车的气味,但我没搜寻到那个人的味道。
Frustrated, I turned back to Jakob. He read my disappointment.
我沮丧地转过身来,看着雅各布。他看出了我的失望。
“That’s okay, Ellie. Find.”
“没关系,爱丽。继续找。”
