(单词翻译:单击)
One afternoon she and Wally sat at a picnic table and drank cool beverages while I lay in the shade of a tree.
一天下午,她和沃利坐在野餐桌旁,喝着清凉的饮料,而我则躺在树荫下。
Maya’s worry was clear to me, but I had learned to live with it and not to let it interfere with the work.
我能很清楚地感知到玛雅的担忧,但我已经学会了在这种情况下继续工作。
“We’re not good enough to get certified, are we?” Maya said.
“我们现在还不够好,还拿不到认证,是吗?””玛雅说。
“Ellie’s about the best dog I’ve ever seen,” Wally replied.
“爱丽大概是我见过的最好的狗,”沃利回答。
I sensed some alarm and caution in his voice and looked at him curiously.
我感觉到他的声音里有些惊慌和谨慎,便好奇地看着他。
“No, I know it’s me. I’ve always been heavy.”
“我不是说爱丽,我知道是我自己的问题。我一直都很胖。”
“What? No, I mean... ,” Wally said, his alarm increasing.
“什么?不,我的意思是……”沃利说,他的警惕性越来越高。
I sat up, wondering what the danger was.
我坐了起来,好奇有什么危险。
“It’s okay. I’ve actually lost some weight, like four pounds.”
“没关系。其实我已经减了一些体重,大概四磅。”
“Really? That’s great! I mean, but you weren’t fat or anything,” Wally stammered.
“真的吗?太好了!我的意思是,你并不胖。”沃利结结巴巴地说。
I smelled the sweat pop on his forehead. “You, I don’t know, maybe go to the track, that would help, or something?”
我闻到他额头上冒出的汗味。“你要不去跑步之类的?那样应该会有帮助,我也不太懂。”
“I do go to the track!”
“我有跑步的!”
“Right! Yes!” Wally radiated pure fear, and I yawned anxiously.
“嗯嗯!”沃利流露出纯粹的害怕,我焦急地打了个哈欠。
“Well, okay, I should go now.”
“好吧,我现在该走了。”
“I don’t know, I didn’t realize there would be so much running.
“我不知道,我之前没想到会有这么大的跑步量。
It’s a lot harder than I thought it would be.
这比我想象的要难得多。
Maybe I should resign, let somebody take over who is in better shape.”
也许我应该辞去这项职务,让一个身体更好的人来接手。”
“Hey, why don’t you talk to Belinda about this?” Wally said desperately.
“嘿,你为什么不跟贝琳达谈谈这个呢?”沃利着急地说。
Maya sighed and Wally, full of relief, got up and left.
玛雅叹了口气,沃利如释重负,起身离开了。
I lay back down.
我又躺了下来。
Whatever horrible danger had been lurking was now apparently no longer a threat.
不管刚才他们聊天时潜伏着什么可怕的危险,现在看来已不再危险了。
The next day, Maya and I didn’t work.
第二天,玛雅和我没有工作。
She put on some soft new shoes, grabbed my leash, and took me to a long road that ran along the sand next to the big pond, the ocean.
她穿上一双柔软的新鞋,拉着我的狗绳,带我去了一条长长的路,这条路沿着沙滩延伸,旁边是那个大池塘——大海。
Dogs were everywhere, but though we weren’t doing work I sensed a grim determination in Maya and ignored them as we ran and ran down that road,
这里到处都是狗子,但尽管我们没有工作,我感觉到了玛雅强烈的决心,因为当我们沿着那条路跑啊跑的时候,玛雅并没有关注那些狗子,
the sun rising steadily in the sky.
太阳在天空中冉冉升起。
It was the longest run we’d ever taken together, it went on and on, and it wasn’t until I could feel her body fill with pain and exhaustion that Maya turned around to head back.
这是我们一起跑过的最长的距离,一直跑啊跑啊没有停,直到我感觉她的身体充满了疼痛和疲惫感,玛雅才转身往回走。
