(单词翻译:单击)
“Where would he take her? If it’s him, where would he go?”
“他会把她带到哪里去呢?如果是他,他会去哪儿呢?”
Jakob asked. The man in the suit turned his head, squinting at the green hills behind us.
雅各布问道。那个穿制服的男人转过头来,看向我们身后的青山。
“The last two bodies we found were up in Topanga Canyon.
“我们最后发现的两具尸体在托班加峡谷找到的。
The first one was in Will Rogers State Park.”
第一个是在威尔·罗杰斯州立公园。”
“We’ll head up that way,” Jakob said.
“我们会朝那个方向走,”雅各布说。
“See if we can pick up anything.”
“看看我们能不能发现什么东西。”
I was startled when Jakob put me in the front seat of the truck.
雅各布把我放在前排时,我很吃惊。
He’d never let me be a front-seat dog before!
他以前从来没让我坐过前排!
His mood was still tense, though, so I stayed focused and didn’t bark when we passed some dogs who yipped at me with unrestrained jealousy.
不过,他的情绪仍然很紧张,所以当我们经过几只明显很嫉妒我的狗时,我依然保持着专注,没有叫。
Jakob and I drove out of the parking lot, and he held the same toy out to me, which I dutifully sniffed.
雅各布和我把车开出停车场,他把上次的玩具递给我,我例行公事地闻了闻。
“Okay, girl, I know this is going to sound strange, but I want you to Find.”
“好,爱丽,我知道这次的要求听起来会很奇怪,但我希望你能找到她。”
At the command, I turned and stared at him in bewilderment.
听到命令,我转过身来,迷惑不解地盯着他。
Find? In the truck?
找?在车里找吗?
The smells coming in the window lured my nose in that direction.
飘进车窗的气味把我的鼻子吸引到了那个方向。
“Good girl!” Jakob praised.
“你太棒了!“雅各布称赞道。
“Find! Find the girl!”
“找!快找到那个女孩!”
My nose was still filled with the scent from the toy, which was why I alerted when a stray breeze brought me her smell, still entwined with the man’s.
我的鼻子里仍然充满了玩具的气味,所以当一阵微风把她的气味带向我时,我就警觉起来了。这次,她的气味还是和那个男人的气味混杂在一起。
“Good girl!” Jakob said.
“棒!”雅各布说。
He stopped the car, watching me intently.
他停下车,专注地看着我。
Behind us, cars honked.
我们身后的汽车发出鸣笛声。
“Got it, girl?” I couldn’t smell her anymore.
“有发现吗,爱丽?“但我闻不到她的味道了。
“That’s okay; that’s okay, Ellie. Good girl,” he said.
“没关系;没关系,爱丽。你很棒了”他说。
I understood, now—we were working from inside the truck.
我现在才明白,原来我们这次是在车里开工。
He drove and I kept my nose out the window, straining, rejecting everything except the smell from the toy.
他开起车,我把鼻子伸到窗外,使劲地嗅,一心只想嗅到那玩具的味道,完全无视其他味道。
I felt the tilt of the truck as we headed uphill, and with it a rising sense of disappointment from Jakob.
当我们往山上开的时候,我感觉到了卡车的倾斜,与此同时,雅各布失望的情绪也越来越强烈。
“I think we’ve lost her,” he muttered.
“我想我们追丢了。”他低语道
“Nothing, Ellie?” At my name, I turned, then went back to my work.
“还是没发现什么吗,爱丽?”听到我的名字,我转过身,然后继续嗅。
