(单词翻译:单击)
More people arrived and eventually they carried Jakob out on a bed.
来了更多的人,最后他们把雅各布抬到床上。
When we got to where the cars had been parked, a helicopter waited.
当我们到达停着汽车的地方时,一架直升飞机正在那里等着。
The policeman held me as they loaded Jakob on the helicopter, his limp arm hanging off of the bed.
那个警察抱着我,与此同时,他们把雅各布送上直升机,他的胳膊无力地悬挂在床边。
As the loud machine rose into the air I twisted free and ran beneath it, barking.
当那台轰鸣的机器升到空中时,我挣脱下来,在飞机底下狂吠着奔跑,边跑边叫。
I was a chopper dog; why didn’t they let me go?
我是一只“坐过直升机的狗”;他们为什么不让我一起去?
I needed to be with Jakob!
我得和雅各布在一起!
People watched as I circled helplessly, my front legs in the air. Eventually Amy came and put me in a cage on a different truck, one filled with Cammie’s scent.
人们看着我无助地转圈,我的前腿悬在空中。最后艾米来了,把我关在另一辆卡车上的笼子里,那辆车充满了卡米的气味。
She took me on a car ride back to the kennel and exchanged me for Cammie, who trotted past me and leaped up into the truck as if offended I’d been in it.
她开车带我回了狗舍,换卡米上了车。 卡米从我身边跑过,跳上车,那感觉就好像我先在车上这件事让她不舒服了一样。
Gypsy was nowhere to be seen.
吉普赛也不见踪影。
“Someone will check on you, and we’ll figure out where you’re going to live, Ellie. You be a good dog; you are a good dog,” Amy said.
“有人会来看你的,我们会给你安排你要生活的地方,爱丽。你是一只很棒的狗,超级棒,”艾米说。
I lay down on my bed in the kennel, my head swimming.
我躺在狗窝里,头晕目眩。
I did not feel like a good dog.
我觉得自己并不棒。
Biting the man with the gun was not part of Find, I knew.
我知道,咬那个拿枪的人不是找人的一部分。
And where was Jakob?
雅各布在哪里?
I remembered the scent of his blood, and it made me whine in anguish.
我想起了他身上的血腥味,这让我痛苦地呜咽起来。
I’d fulfilled my purpose and found the girl and she was safe.
我达成了我的使命,我找到了那个女孩,她很安全。
But now Jakob was hurt and was gone and I was sleeping at the kennel for the first night ever.
但现在雅各布受伤了,不知道在哪儿,我第一次晚上睡在狗窝里。
I couldn’t help but feel that somehow I was being punished.
我不禁感到自己在某种程度上受到了惩罚。
The next several days were confusing and distressing for everyone.
接下来的几天对每个人来说都是混乱和痛苦的。
I lived in the kennel and was only let out into the yard a couple times a day, always by a policeman who radiated awkwardness with the unexpected new duty of dog care.
我住在狗舍里,每天只被放几次到院子里,每次都是由一名警察带着我,而且这名警察似乎对突如其来要照顾一只狗的任务感到有些无所适从。
Amy talked to me and played with me a little, but she and Cammie were gone a lot of the time.
艾米和我聊天,和我玩了一会儿,但她和卡米经常不在。
There was no sign of Jakob, and gradually his scent faded from the surroundings,
到处都没有雅各布的踪迹,他的气味逐渐从周围的环境中消失了,
so that even when I concentrated, I couldn’t locate him anymore.
所以即使我集中注意力,我也找不到他了。
One day Cammie and I were in the yard together.
有一天,我和卡米一起在院子里。
All Cammie wanted to do was nap, even when I showed him a rubber bone one of the policemen had given me.
卡米只想打个盹,即便我给他看了一根另一名警察给我的橡胶骨头,他也只想睡觉。
I didn’t understand what Cammie’s purpose was, why anyone would want to have a nap dog.
我不明白卡米的使命是什么,为什么会有狗子一心想睡觉呢。
