(单词翻译:单击)
“Her name is Emily.”
“她叫埃米莉。”
“Can I pet the doggy?” the little girl asked shyly.
“我可以摸摸小狗吗?”小女孩害羞地问。
“Yes, sure. Then we’ve got to go back to work,” Jakob said kindly.
“是的,当然。然后我们就得回去工作了。”雅各布和蔼地说。
I perked up my ears at the word “work.”
听到“工作”这个词,我竖起了耳朵。
“Okay, I’ll . . . go with you,” the large policeman said.
“好吧,我……跟你一起走,”那个大个子警察说。
“Johnson, you guys remain here with the girl. Watch that he doesn’t circle back around.”
“约翰逊,你们和那个女孩待在一起。当心嫌疑人再游荡回来。”
“If he were close, Ellie would tell us,” Jakob said.
“如果他靠近的话,爱丽会提醒我们的,”雅各布说。
I looked at him. Were we ready to go to work?
我看着雅各布。我们准备好去工作了吗?
“Find!” Jakob said.
“去找人!”雅各布说。
The brush was thick in places, the soil underneath sandy and loose.
这里的灌木都很厚,下面的土壤有砂石,很松软。
I could easily track the man, though —he was headed steadily downhill.
我还是可以很容易地追踪到那个人的气味——他正在以稳定的速度下山。
I found an iron rod coated with his scent and ran back to Jakob.
我找到一根有他气味的铁棒,便跑回雅各布那里。
“Show!” Jakob commanded.
“带我们去!”雅各布发出指令。
When we returned to the tool, we had to wait more than a minute for the bigger policeman to catch us.
当我们回到那个铁棒所在的地方时,我们等了一分多钟,那个大个子警察才追上我们。
“I fell . . . couple times,” he gasped.
“我摔倒了……好几次了,”他喘着气说。
I could sense his embarrassment.
我能感觉到他的尴尬。
“Ellie says he was carrying this crowbar. Looks like he dropped his weapon,” Jakob observed.
“爱丽说他拿着这个撬棍。看起来他把武器丢掉了,”雅各布说道。
“Okay, now what?” the policeman wheezed.
“噢,那我们现在怎么办?”警察喘着气说。
“Find!” Jakob commanded.
“继续找!”雅各布发出指令。
The man’s scent was painted on bushes and hanging in the air, and it wasn’t long before I could hear him ahead, scuffling along.
那个男人的气味留在了灌木丛上,飘荡在空气中。追了没多久,我就听到他在前方赶路发出的声音了。
I closed in on him in a place where the breeze was moist from a tiny stream and the trees lifted their limbs high overhead, providing shade.
在寻到一个地方的时候,我追上了他。这个地方的微风里夹杂着小溪中的湿气。这里的树枝都高高抬起,提供了阴凉。
He saw me and ducked behind one of these trees, just like Wally might do.
他看见了我,就像沃利可能做的那样,躲到了一棵树的后面。
I ran back to Jakob.
我跑回雅各布那里。
“Show me!” Jakob said.
“带我去!”雅各布说。
I stayed close to Jakob as we entered the woods.
我们进入树林时,我紧挨着雅各布。
I knew the man was hiding, I could smell his fear and his hate and his fetid odor.
我知道那人藏起来了,我能闻到他的恐惧、怨恨和恶臭。
I led Jakob straight to the tree, and when the man stepped out from behind it I heard Jakob shout, “Police! Freeze!”
我把雅各布直接带到那棵树前,当那人从树后走出来时,我听到雅各布喊道:“警察!不许动!”
The man raised his hand and a shot rang out.
那人举起手,一声枪响。
Just a gun.
只是一支枪。
