(单词翻译:单击)
We parked next to an old, gnarly tree that provided the only visible shade in a hot parking lot.
我们的车停在一棵又老又粗糙的树旁,那是炎热的停车场里唯一可见的树荫。
Bobby went inside the building with the female from the cab while Carlos came around to the cage door.
鲍比和那个女人从出租车里走了进去,卡洛斯走到笼子口这儿。
All of us except Sister surged forward.
除了姐姐,我们都向前冲去。
“Come on, Coco. Coco,” Carlos said.
“来吧,可可。可可,”卡洛斯说。
I could smell peanuts and berries on his fingers, plus something sweet I couldn't identify.
我能在他的手指上闻到花生和浆果的味道,还有一些我辨别不出来的甜味。
We all barked jealously as Coco was led into the building, and then we barked because we were barking.
当可可被带进大楼时,我们都羡慕地叫着,然后我们叫着就只是因为我们一直在叫了。
A large black bird landed in the tree above us and stared down at us as if we were idiots, so we barked at it for a while.
一只大黑鸟落在我们头上的树上,低头盯着我们,好像我们是白痴一样,于是我们对着它叫了一会儿。
Bobby came back out to the truck. “Toby!” he called.
鲍比回到卡车旁。“托比!”他叫道。
Proudly I stepped forward, accepting a loop of leather around my neck before jumping down onto the pavement,
我骄傲地走上前去,接受了他挂在我脖子上的皮革项圈,然后跳到了人行道上,
which was so hot it hurt my feet.
热得我的脚都疼了。
I didn't even glance back at the losers in the cage as I entered the building,
当我进入大楼时,我甚至没有回头看一眼笼子里的失败者,
which was astoundingly cool and redolent with the smells of dogs and other animals.
楼里非常凉爽,还有狗和其他动物的香味儿。
Bobby led me down a hallway and then picked me up and dropped me on a shiny table.
鲍比带我走过走廊,然后抱起我,把我放在一张锃亮的桌子上。
A woman entered and I thumped my tail as she put her soft, gentle fingers in my ears and probed under my throat.
一位女士走了进来,我使劲地摇着尾巴,她温柔的手指放进我的耳朵里,在我脖子下面摸着。
Her hands smelled of a strong chemical, though her clothes smelled of other animals, including Coco.
她的手闻起来有一种强烈的化学物质的味道,虽然她的衣服闻起来有包括可可在内的其他动物的味道。
“What's this one?” she asked.
“这只叫什么?”她问道。
“Toby,” Bobby said.
“托比,”鲍比说。
I wagged harder when I heard my name.
听到我的名字时,我更加激动了。
“How many did you say, today?”
“你说今天有多少只来着?”
While she and Bobby spoke, she lifted back my gums to admire my teeth.
她和鲍比说话的时候,她把我的牙床抬起来欣赏我的牙齿。
“Three males, three bitches.”
“三只公狗,三只母狗。”
“Bobby,” the woman said.
“鲍比,”女人说。
I wagged my tail because I recognized his name.
我摇了摇尾巴,因为我知道他的名字。
“I know; I know.”
“我知道;我知道。”
“She's going to get into trouble,” the woman said.
“她会有麻烦的,”女人说。
She was feeling me up and down, and I wondered if it would be okay if I groaned with pleasure.
她上下抚摸着我,我想知道我是否可以高兴地呻吟。
“There are no neighbors to complain.”
“她没有邻居会抱怨的。”
“Still, there are laws. She can't just keep taking on more dogs.”
“但还有法律。她不能再养更多的狗了。”
