(单词翻译:单击)
Chapter Twenty
第二十章
I felt strong fear from Jakob as we descended down into the canyon, so strong I kept returning to him for reassurance.
当我们顺着峡谷往下走时,我感到雅各布身上有一种强烈的恐惧感,所以我不断地回到他那里确认是否要继续向前。
Then the girl’s scent pulled me forward and I galloped ahead, racing toward a collection of small buildings.
然后,前方女孩的气味吸引着我,我向前飞奔,朝小房子行进着。
I spotted the little girl sitting quietly on some steps that led up to a big porch while a man pulled at the front door to the building with some sort of tool.
我看见那个小女孩安静地坐在台阶上,台阶通向一个大门廊,一个男人用某种工具在楼的前门拖着什么东西。
She seemed sad and scared, but she perked up when she saw me approach, holding out a tiny little hand.
她看上去既伤心又害怕,但当她看到我向她靠近时,她开心了起来,向我伸出了一只小手。
The man suddenly whirled, staring at me.
男人突然转过身来,盯着我。
My hackles rose when our eyes met—I felt the same dark sickness from him that I’d felt in Todd, only stronger, more vicious.
当我们的目光相遇时,我不禁竖起了寒毛——我从他身上感到了和我在托德身上感受到的同样的黑暗的感觉,只是这男人身上的这种感觉更强烈、更残暴。
He jerked his head up, looking over toward the road I’d come from.
他猛地抬头,看向我来时的路。
I ran back to Jakob, the little girl calling, “Doggy!” as I peeled away.
我跑回雅各布身边,跑的时候,那个小女孩叫道:“狗狗!”。
“You got her,” Jakob said. “Good girl, Ellie. Show me!” I took him back to the building.
“你找到她了,”雅各布说。“爱丽真棒。快带我去!”我把他带回了那座楼。
The little girl was still sitting on the porch, but the man was nowhere to be seen.
那个小女孩还坐在门廊上,但是那个男人却不见了。
“Eight-Kilo-Six, victim is secured and unharmed. Suspect fled on foot,” Jakob said.
雅各布说,“8k6组呼叫,受害者安然无恙。嫌疑人已步行逃跑。
“Stick with the victim, EightKilo-Six.”
“请和受害者呆在一起,8k6组。”
“Roger that.” I could hear in the distance the wap-wap-wap of a helicopter blade beating the air, and the sound of footsteps running down the road behind us.
“收到。”我能听到远处直升机的桨叶拍打着空气的声音,以及我们身后的路上传来的脚步声。
Two policemen came around the bend, sweating.
两个警察满头大汗地从拐弯处过来。
“How are you, Emily? Are you hurt?” one of them asked.
“你没事吧,爱米丽?你受伤了吗?”其中一个警察问道。
“No,” said the little girl.
“没有,”小女孩说。
She picked at a flower on her dress.
她拿起衣服上的一朵花。
“My God, is she all right? Are you okay, little girl?” a third policeman asked breathlessly as he ran up, putting his hands on his knees.
“天哪,她没事吧?你没事吧,小姑娘?”第三个跑过来的警察双手放在膝盖上,气喘吁吁地问道。
He was larger than the other men, both taller and built more heavily.
第三个警察比其他人块头都大,个子也比他们高,体格也比他们壮。
I smelled ice cream on his breath.
我闻到他嘴里有冰淇淋的味道。
