(单词翻译:单击)
“Good girl, Ellie,” Maya enthused.
“好姑娘,爱丽,”玛雅兴奋地说。
Apparently she was of the “excited to see you peeing in the yard” persuasion.
显然,她是那种“看到我在院子里小便会很兴奋”的人。
Maya made her own dinner, which smelled pretty good and drew the attention of Stella, who jumped right up on the table and waltzed around like a bad cat!
玛雅也给自己做了一顿饭,味道很好闻。这味道引起了斯特拉的注意,斯特拉跳上桌子,像只坏猫一样跳着华尔兹。
Maya didn’t say anything to her, apparently feeling that cats were worthless, untrainable animals.
玛雅什么也没说,显然她觉得猫这种生物是没用的、训练也训练不出来的动物。
We went for a walk on the leash after dinner.
晚饭后,玛雅用狗绳牵着我出去散步。
There were a lot of people out in the yards, many of them children, which made me feel restless.
院子里有很多人,其中很多是孩子,这让我感到不安。
I had not done any work in several weeks and there was a tension in my muscles; I wanted to run, to Find, to save people.
我已经好几个星期没有工作了,我的肌肉需要舒缓。我想奔跑,去找人,去救人。
As if picking up on my mood, Maya began to trot.
玛雅似乎注意到了我的心情,她开始小跑起来。
“Want to run a little, girl?” she asked.
“想要跑跑吗,爱丽?”她问道。
I increased my pace, sticking right to her side as Jakob had taught me.
我加快了脚步,像雅克布教我的那样,紧挨着她。
Before long she was huffing, and I could smell her sweat break out from her pores.
没过多久,她就气喘吁吁了,我能嗅到她毛孔里散发出的汗味。
The heat was coming off the pavement and into my paws, and as we passed houses dogs barked enviously.
人行道上不断散发着热量,传给我的脚掌,当我们经过一些房子时,有一些狗子羡慕地对我叫着。
And then Maya abruptly stopped.
然后玛雅突然停了下来。
“Whew!” she panted.
“唷!”她喘着气说。
“Okay, we’re going to need to spend more time on the treadmill, that’s for sure.”
“好吧,我们需要花更多的时间用来跑步,这是确定的。”
I didn’t really get what was happening until that night.
直到一天晚上,我才真正明白到底是怎么回事。
I was lying on the rug while Maya took a bath and dressed in different clothing, and then she called me into her bedroom.
我当时正躺在地毯上,玛雅洗了个澡,换了衣服,然后她把我叫进她的卧室。
“Okay, lie down here, Ellie. Good girl,” she said, patting a dog bed. I obediently curled up in it, but I was mystified.
“好,爱丽,躺这里吧。爱丽乖”,她边说边用手拍了拍狗窝。我听话地把自己蜷在狗窝里,但我还是很迷惑不解。
Apparently I would be staying here for a while.
显然,我要在这里呆一段时间。
Was this where I lived, now?
这就是我现在住的地方吗?
What about Jakob?
雅克布呢?
What about my work?
我的工作怎么办?
The next morning Maya and I did do work, though it was a little strange.
第二天早上,我和玛雅确实工作了,但有一点奇怪。
Wally was there and greeted me like an old friend, along with a woman who sometimes came along to play Find with us.
沃利也在,它像老朋友一样跟我打招呼,旁边还有一个女人,她有时会和我们一起玩“找人”的游戏。
Her name was Belinda, and Wally’s smell was always all over her, so I suspected that when we weren’t there Belinda and Wally played Find with each other.
她的名字叫贝琳达,而她浑身都是沃利的气味,所以我怀疑,当我们不在那里的时候,贝琳达和沃利一起玩了“找人”的游戏。
Wally stayed with Maya while Belinda went off into the woods.
沃利和玛雅在一起,贝琳达则去了树林。
He talked with Maya, teaching her the hand signals and commands we used during work.
他和玛雅交谈,教她我们在工作中使用的手势和命令。
Then Maya said, “Ellie, Find!” and I raced off while Wally and Maya followed.
然后玛雅说:“爱丽,去找人!”我迅速跑开,沃利和玛雅跟在后面。
