(单词翻译:单击)
I stayed next to Jakob as he walked a few dozen yards, carrying his flowers.
不知道我们来这里是要做什么,我呆在雅各布身边,他拿着花走了几十码远的距离。
He knelt and put the flowers down next to one of the stones, the pain twisting in him so deeply that tears fell silently down his cheeks.
他跪了下来,把花放在一块石头旁边,痛苦深深地缠绕着他,泪水无声地从他的脸颊上滑落。
I nuzzled his hand, concerned.
我关切地用鼻子碰了碰他的手。
“It’s okay, Ellie. Good dog. Sit.”
“我没事,爱丽,乖。坐下。”
I sat, grieving with Jakob. He cleared his throat.
我坐在那里,和雅各布一起悲伤。他清了清嗓子。
“I miss you so much, honey. I just . . . sometimes I don’t think I can get through the day, knowing you’re not going to be there when I get home,” he whispered hoarsely.
“亲爱的,我很想你。我只是…有时候我感觉每天都痛苦难耐,因为我知道我回家的时候不会再有你的守候。”他声音嘶哑地低声说。
I lifted my ears at the word “home.” Yes, I thought, let’s go home, let’s leave this sad place.
听到“家”这个词,我竖起了耳朵。“我想,有道理,那我们回家吧,离开这个悲伤的地方。
“I’m on K-9 patrol right now, search and rescue.
“我现在会带警犬做巡逻、搜索和救援。
They don’t want me on regular patrol because I’m still taking anti-depressants.
他们不希望我做定期巡逻,因为我还在服用抗抑郁药。
I’ve got a dog, her name is Ellie, a oneyear-old German shepherd.”
我有自己的警犬了,她叫爱丽,是一只一岁的德国牧羊犬。”
I wagged my tail.
我摇了摇尾巴。
“We just got certified, so we’ll be going out, now. I’ll be glad to get off the desk; I’ve gained about ten pounds from all the sitting.”
“我们刚拿到认证,所以我们现在能出去执行任务了。我很乐意离开办公桌出去走走;毕竟我坐了这么久,胖了十磅左右。”
Jakob laughed and the sound of it was so peculiar, such a sad, tortured laugh, with no happiness in it at all.
雅各布笑了,笑的声音很特别,因为这笑声很悲伤、很痛苦,一点也不快乐。
We remained there, nearly motionless, for about ten minutes,
我们呆在那里,几乎一动不动,大约有十分钟的时间,
and gradually the feeling from Jakob shifted, became less raw pain and more like what I felt when Ethan and Hannah would say goodbye at the end of the summer— something similar to fear.
渐渐地,杰克布的情绪发生了变化,少了一些痛苦的感觉,更像是每年夏天快结束时伊桑和汉娜说再见时的感觉——有点像害怕的感觉。
“I love you,” Jakob whispered.
“我爱你,”雅各布低声说。
