(单词翻译:单击)
A clear trickle of water fell continuously into a trough, providing refreshment whenever we wanted it,
清澈的涓涓细流不断地流进食槽里,我们想喝多少就喝多少,
and the man named Carlos came into the yard once a day to clean up our messes.
那个叫卡洛斯的人每天到院子里来一次,清理我们的垃圾。
At regular intervals we would all break out in loud barking, for no reason other than the sheer joy of it.
每隔一段固定的时间,我们就会大声吠叫,只是因为高兴,并没有其他原因。
And the feedings!
还有喂食!
Twice a day, Bobby, Carlos, Senora, and the other man would wade into the pack, separating us out into groups based on age.
一天两次,鲍比、卡洛斯、太太和另一个男人会费力地挤进狗群中,把我们按年龄分成几组。
They would pour bags of rich food into large bowls, and we would bury our faces, eating as much as we could hold!
他们会把一袋袋丰富的食物倒进大碗里,而我们则把脸埋起来,尽量吃得饱饱的!
Bobby stood by, and whenever he thought one of the dogs (usually the smallest of the girls) didn’t get enough
鲍比总是站在一旁,每当他认为其中一只狗(通常是最小的母狗)吃得不够的时候,
he would pick her up and give her another handful, pushing the rest of us away.
他会抱起她,把我们都推开,再给她一把。
Mother ate with the adult dogs and occasionally I’d hear a growl from over on their side,
妈妈和成年狗一起吃东西,偶尔我会听到它们那边的咆哮声,
though when I looked all I could see was wagging tails.
虽然我抬头看的时候,看到的只有摇动的尾巴。
Whatever they were eating smelled wonderful, but if one of the juveniles tried to wander over there to see what was going on
他们吃的东西闻起来味道都很好,但如果有一只幼犬试图到那边去看看他们吃的是什么,
the men would step in and stop the pup.
男人会介入并阻止小狗。
The woman, Senora, would bend and let us kiss her face, and she would run her hands through our fur and laugh and laugh.
那个女人,夫人,会弯下腰让我们吻她的脸,她会用手抚摸我们的皮毛,笑啊笑。
My name, she told me, was Toby.
她告诉我,我的名字叫托比。
She said it to me every time she saw me: Toby, Toby, Toby.
每次见到我她都这么说:托比,托比,托比。
I was certain I was, by far, her favorite dog—how could I not be?
我敢肯定,到目前为止,我是她最喜欢的狗——我怎么可能不是呢?
My best friend was a fawn-colored female named Coco, who had greeted me on my first day.
我最好的朋友是一个叫可可的有着浅黄色皮毛的母狗,我第一天来的时候她给我打了招呼。
Coco’s legs and feet were white, her nose pink, her fur coarse and wiry.
可可的腿和脚是白色的,她的鼻子是粉红色的,她的皮毛粗糙而结实。
She was small enough that I could keep up with her despite my short legs.
她个子小,尽管我腿短,我还是能跟上她。
Coco and I wrestled all day long, usually joined by the other girls and sometimes by Fast,
可可和我玩摔跤玩了一整天,通常还有其他母狗会加入进来,有时Fast也会一起,
who always wanted to play the game where he wound up the Top Dog.
他总是想玩挑战狗老大的游戏。
