(单词翻译:单击)
My favorite time of day was when Grandpa did chores.
一天中我最喜欢的时间是爷爷做家务的时候。
Sometimes when he didn’t do chores I would go and take a nap in the barn just the same.
有时他不做家务的时候,我也会去谷仓里小睡一会儿。
I was taking a lot of naps and no longer had any interest in going out on long adventures.
我经常打盹,也不再像以前那样对长时间的冒险有任何兴趣了。
When Mom and Rick took me for a walk, I was always exhausted when we got back.
妈妈和瑞克带我去散步的时候,每次回来,我总是筋疲力尽。
About the only thing that could make me excited was when the boy would come to the Farm for a visit.
唯一能让我兴奋的是伊森来农场看我们的时候。
I’d still dance and wiggle and whimper, and I would play at the pond or walk in the woods or do anything else he wanted, even chase the flip,
我还会蹦蹦跳跳、扭动身体、发出呜咽声,我还会在池塘里玩耍、在树林里散步,或者做任何他想做的事情,哪怕是追着筋斗云跑,
though the boy thankfully seemed to have forgotten where it was.
不过,谢天谢地,伊森似乎忘记了筋斗云的事儿。
Sometimes we went to town to the dog park, and while I was always glad to see the other dogs,
有时我们会去镇上的狗子公园,虽然我总是很高兴看到其他狗,
I thought the younger ones were juvenile with their relentless playing and wrestling.
但我觉得年纪小一些的狗子只顾着玩儿和彼此摔跤,很是幼稚。
Then one evening the oddest thing happened: Grandpa set dinner down before me, and I didn’t feel like eating.
一天晚上,最奇怪的事情发生了:爷爷把晚饭摆在我面前,但我不想吃。
My mouth filled with drool, and I drank some water and went back to lie down.
我的嘴里满是口水,我喝了一些水,然后回去躺下。
Soon a thick, heavy pain came through my body, leaving me panting for breath.
很快,一种沉重的疼痛刺过我的身体,让我喘不过气来。
I lay there all night on the floor by my food bowl.
我整晚都躺在我食盆旁边的地板上。
The next morning, Grandma saw me and called to Grandpa.
第二天早上,奶奶看见我,就叫来了爷爷。
“There’s something wrong with Bailey!” she said.
“贝利有问题!””她说。
I could hear the alarm in her voice when she said my name, and wagged my tail so she’d know I was okay.
当她说到我的名字时,我能听到她声音里的惊慌,她摇着我的尾巴,这样她就知道我没事的。
Grandpa came and touched me.
爷爷走过来,摸了摸我。
“You okay, Bailey? What’s wrong?”
“你没事吧,贝利吗?你怎么了?”
After some conversation, Mom and Grandpa carried me to the truck and we went to the clean, cool room with a nice man,
他们聊了一会儿,妈妈和爷爷把我抱到卡车上,我们去了一个干净、凉爽的房间,房间里有个不错的男人。
the same nice man we’d been visiting more and more often in recent years.
最近这几年,我们去拜访他的频率越来越高了。
He felt me all over and I wagged a little, but I didn’t feel very well, and didn’t try to sit up.
他把我摸了一遍,我摇了摇尾巴一下,但我感觉不太舒服,也没有试着坐起来。
Mom came in, and she was crying, and Grandma and Grandpa were there, and even Rick came.
妈妈进来了,她在哭,爷爷奶奶都在,连瑞克也来了。
I tried to let them know I appreciated all of their attention, but the pain was worse,
我试着让他们知道我很感激他们对我的关心,但我感觉更疼了,
and it was all I could do to roll my eyes to look at them.
我只能眼巴巴地看着他们。
