(单词翻译:单击)
Mostly I liked Grandpa.
我还是挺喜欢爷爷的。
From time to time he’d do “chores,” which meant we’d go into the new barn, toward the back,
他会时不时地做些“杂务”,这意味着我们要去新谷仓的后面,
where soft hay was piled, and take a nap.
那里堆着柔软的干草,我可以在那里打个盹。
During cold days Grandpa had a couple of heavy blankets he’d wrap around us.
天气变冷的日子里,爷爷会用好几张厚厚的毯子把我们俩裹起来。
But the first few days after the boy left, I sulked in Grandpa’s presence,
但伊森离开后的头几天,爷爷在身边,我都闷闷不乐的
punishing him for bringing me back to the Farm.
我想惩罚他把我带回了农场。
When that didn’t work, all I could think to do was chew up a pair of Grandma’s shoes, but that still didn’t bring the boy back.
当我发现这样做没用的时候,我所能想到的就是去咬奶奶的一双鞋,但是这样做并没能让伊森回到我身边。
I just couldn’t get past the utter betrayal of it all.
感觉自己被背叛的念头一直萦绕在我的狗头里。
I knew that out there somewhere, probably back home, the boy needed me, didn’t understand where I was.
我知道在某个地方,也许是在家里:伊森需要我,却不知道我在哪里。
Everyone was infuriatingly calm, seemingly oblivious to the catastrophic change that had struck the household.
每个人都冷静得令人发指,似乎没有注意到家里发生的灾难性变化。
I became so frantic I even dug into the boy’s closet and brought out the flip, running down and tossing it into Grandma’s lap.
我简直要发疯了,我甚至翻到男孩的衣柜里,叼出筋斗云,跑下去把它放在奶奶的腿上。
“What in the world is this?” she exclaimed.
“这是什么东西呀?””她惊异地问道。
“It’s Ethan’s big invention,” Grandpa said.
“这是伊森的伟大发明,”爷爷说。
I barked. Yes! Ethan!
我叫了起来。是的!伊森做的!
“You want to go outside and play, Bailey?” Grandma asked me.
“你想出去玩吗,贝利?”奶奶问我。
“Why don’t you take him for a walk.” Walk? Walk to see the boy?
“你为什么不带他去散散步呢?”散步?难道要散步去看伊森了?
“I thought I’d watch a little of the game here,” Grandpa replied.
“我觉得可以让它在家里稍微玩玩”爷爷回答说。
“For heaven’s sake,” Grandma said.
“天呐”奶奶说。
She went to the door and tossed the flip out in the yard, barely sending the thing five yards.
她走到门口,把筋斗云扔到院子里,扔出去的距离还没到五码。
I bounded over, grabbed it, and then stared in absolute noncomprehension when she shut the door, leaving me outside.
我跳过去,叼住筋斗云,然后她关上了门,留在了屋外一脸不解的我。
Well, okay then.
嗯,好吧。
I spat out the flip and trotted past Flare, heading down the driveway.
我放下了嘴里的筋斗云,快步跑过耀斑,顺着车道跑下去。
I went over to the girl’s house, which I had already done several times since Ethan left.
我去了那个女孩的家,自从伊森离开后我已经去过好几次了。
