(单词翻译:单击)
“You make it sound like we live in the ghetto,” Mom complained with a laugh.
“你说得好像我们住在贫民区一样,”妈妈笑着抱怨道。
“You’re not answering me because . . . well, we both know why. I know your husband will be against it.
“你没有正面回答我是因为……我们都知道原因。我知道你丈夫会反对的。
But Gary is traveling almost one hundred percent, now, and you said your hours at the school are killing you.
但加里现在几乎一直都在出差,而你也说你在学校特别累。
The boy needs a family around him while he rebuilds.”
伊森重建的过程中需要家人的陪伴。”
“Yes, Gary’s traveling, but he still wants to see Ethan when he’s home. And I can’t just quit my job.”
“是的,盖瑞要出差,但他回家后还是想见伊森。而且我不能直接辞职。”
“I’m not telling you to. You know you are welcome to come up any time you want,
“我也不是让你一定要辞职。你想来,随时都可以来,
and why can’t Gary fly into our little airport here on a given weekend?
而且为什么盖瑞不能在某个周末飞到我们的小机场呢?
Or, and please know that I only want the best for you, wouldn’t it be good for the two of you to be alone right now?
你要知道,我只希望你一切都好,你们两个现在单独在一起不是很好吗?
If you and Gary are going to fix the problems between you, you need to do it somewhere other than in front of Ethan.”
如果你和盖瑞要解决你们之间的问题,你们需要在别的地方解决,而不是在伊森面前。”
I pricked up my ears a little at the boy’s name.
我听到了伊森的名字,便竖起了耳朵。
Was he home?
伊森回家了吗?
I cocked my head but didn’t hear his car.
我歪着头,但没听见他的车声。
When the nights turned cool and the baby ducks were all as big as their mother, Mom packed the car.
当夜晚渐凉,小鸭子们都和它们的妈妈一样大的时候,妈妈把车塞满了。
I paced nervously, afraid I’d be left behind, and when the moment was right I jumped neatly into the backseat.
我紧张地踱步,担心自己会被留在这里。当时机成熟时,我敏捷地跳上了后座。
For some reason, everyone laughed.
出于某种原因,大家都笑了。
I sat in the car and watched as Mom hugged Grandma and Grandpa and then, curiously, Ethan, who then came over and opened the car door.
我坐在车里,看着妈妈抱了爷爷奶奶,然后,奇怪的是,伊森过来打开了车门。
“Bailey? Do you want to go with Mom, or stay here with me?”
“贝利?你想和妈妈一起走,还是和我呆在这里?”
There was nothing in the question that I understood, so I just looked at him.
这个问题我完全没听懂,所以我只是看着他。
“Come on, doodle dog. Bailey! Come!”I reluctantly jumped out into the driveway.
“来吧,我的金毛贝利。贝利!来!”我不情愿地跳上车道。
No car ride? Mom drove off in the car, with Ethan and Grandma and Grandpa waving.
不去兜风了?妈妈开车走了,伊森和爷爷奶奶对着妈妈挥手。
Though it made no sense, the boy and I were staying on the Farm!
虽然这说不通啊,但我和伊森居然能留在农场里!
