(单词翻译:单击)
I grew pretty excited when the familiar smells of the creek and the street came through the window,
当熟悉的小溪和街道的气味从窗户飘进来时,我变得非常兴奋,
and I bounded in through the front door of the house as soon as they let me out of the car.
他们一让我下车,我就从前门跳了进去。
Though I could still smell smoke, the air was also filled with the scent of new wood and carpet, and the windows in the living room were larger.
虽然我还能闻到烟味,但空气中也充满了新木材和地毯的味道,客厅的窗户也更大了。
Felix seemed very suspicious of his surroundings,
费利克斯似乎对周围的环境很警惕,
but I was out the dog door and racing around in the relative freedom of the backyard within seconds of arriving.
但我刚一到,就跑出了狗门,在相对自由的后院里跑来跑去。
When I barked with joy, Duchess answered from down the street.
我高兴得叫了起来,公爵夫人从街那头应声而来。
Home!We’d barely settled in when we took the big car ride to the Farm.
我们到家咯!我们刚安顿好就坐车去了农场。
Life was finally back on track, though the boy was much less inclined to run than to walk, leaning on the cane.
生活终于回到了正轨,尽管相较于跑步,伊森更愿意倚着拐杖走路。
One of the first places we went was to Hannah’s house.
我们最先去的地方之一就是汉娜家。
I knew the route pretty well and galloped way ahead, so I saw her first.
我对路线非常熟悉,便在前面带着路,所以我先看到了她。
“Bailey! Hi, Bailey!” she called.
“贝利!嗨,贝利!”她叫道。
I ran up for some of her in-depth cuddling and scratching, and then the boy came up the driveway, panting a little.
我跑上前去,想和她好好地拥抱一下,让她给我挠痒痒,随后伊森气喘吁吁地从车道上出现。
The girl went down the steps and stood there in the sun, waiting for him.
姑娘走下台阶,站在阳光下等着他。
“Hi,” the boy said.
“嗨,”伊森说。
He seemed a little uncertain.
他似乎有点犹豫不决。
“Hi,” the girl said.
“嗨,”汉娜说。
I yawned and scratched at an itch on my jaw.
我打了个哈欠,抓了抓下巴上痒痒的地方。
“Well, are you going to kiss me or what?” the girl asked.
“那么,你不打算吻吻我之类的吗?”女孩问。
Ethan went to give her a long hug.
伊桑过去给了她一个长长的拥抱。
He dropped his cane.
他的手杖掉在了地上。
Some things were different that summer.
那年夏天,有些事情发生了变化。
Ethan began waking up long before sunrise and driving Grandpa’s truck up and down the county roads, shoving papers into people’s boxes.
天还没亮,伊森就起床了,开着爷爷的卡车在县道上来回穿梭,把报纸塞进人们的信箱里。
They were the same papers that the boy had once placed all over the carpet in the house,
这些报纸就是伊森曾经在屋子里的地毯上到处乱放的那种纸,
but somehow I didn’t think it would be appreciated very much if I urinated on them,
但不知何故,我觉得如果我对着它们撒尿,伊森应该不会感到开心
even though there had been a time, when I was a puppy, when wetting down the papers would have gained me high praise.
不过,以前我还是一只小狗的时候,尿在纸上也会得到大家的夸奖。
