(单词翻译:单击)
Ethan lay on his back in the snow, his eyes closed.
伊森躺在雪地里,闭着眼睛。
“Are you okay, son? Are you okay?” Dad asked.
“你没事吧,孩子?你还好吗?“爸爸问。
“My leg,” the boy said, coughing.
“我的腿,”男孩咳嗽着说。
I could smell his burned flesh.
我能闻到他烧着的肉味。
His face was blackened and oozing.
他的脸黑呼呼的,透着火焰的气味。
I pressed forward, the flip in my mouth, feeling the stabbing pain in him and wanting to help.
我嘴里咬着筋斗云向前凑近,我能感受到他身上钻心的痛,我想帮帮他。
“Go away, Bailey,” Dad said. The boy opened his eyes, and he grinned weakly at me.
“离这儿远点,贝利,”爸爸说。男孩睁开眼睛,虚弱地冲我咧嘴一笑。
“No, it’s okay. Good dog, Bailey, you caught the flip. Good dog.” I wagged.
“不,没关系的。贝利真棒,你接到了筋斗云,真棒。“我摇摆着尾巴。
He reached out with one hand and petted my head, and I spat out the flip, which to tell the truth didn’t taste very good.
他伸出一只手,摸了摸我的头,我松掉了口中的筋斗云,说实话,筋斗云的味道不是很好。
His other hand was curled up against his chest, blood dribbling out of it.
他的另一只手蜷在胸前,血从手中滴落出来。
Cars and trucks began arriving, lights flashing.
汽车和卡车陆续到达,灯光闪烁。
Men ran up to the house and began spraying it with large hoses.
一些人跑到房子前,开始用大水管喷水。
Some people brought over a bed and put the boy on it and lifted it up and put it into the back of a truck.
有人拿来一张床,把伊森放在上面,然后把它抬起来,放到卡车的后面。
I tried to crawl in after him, but the man at the truck’s back doors pushed me away.
我想跟着他爬进去,但卡车后门的人把我推开了。
“No, sorry,” he said.
“你不能进去,抱歉,”他说。
“Stay, Bailey; it’s okay,” the boy said.
“你留在这里吧,贝利;我没事的”男孩说。
I knew all about Stay; it was my least favorite command.
我知道留下来是什么意思;这是我最不喜欢的命令,没有之一。
The boy was still hurting, and I wanted to be with him.
男孩还受着伤,我想和他在一起。
“May I go?” Mom asked. “Of course; let me help you,” the man replied.
“我可以去吗?”母亲问。“当然;我拉你吧。”男人回答。
Mom crawled into the back of the truck.
妈妈爬进了卡车的后部。
“It’s okay, Bailey.” Chelsea’s mother approached, and Mom looked up at her.
“没事的,贝利。”切尔西的母亲走了过来,母亲抬头看着她。
“Laura? Could you watch Bailey?”
“劳拉?你能帮忙看一下贝利吗?”
“Sure.” Chelsea’s mother took hold of my collar.
“当然。“切尔西的妈妈抓住我的项圈。
Her hands smelled like Duchess.
她的手闻起来像公爵夫人。
Dad’s hand, though, smelled of the fire, and I knew he was in pain.
然而,爸爸的手闻起来有火的味道,我知道他很痛苦。
He climbed in to be with Mom and the boy.
他爬进去和妈妈还有伊森在一起。
Nearly everyone in the neighborhood was out in the street, but no dogs.
几乎所有的邻居都来到了街上,但是狗子们没有出来。
The truck drove off and I gave it a single mournful bark.
卡车开走了,我悲伤地叫了一声。
How did I know the boy would be safe now?
我怎么知道伊森现在一定安全了呢?
He needed me with him!
他需要我和他在一起!
Chelsea’s mother stood off to the side, holding me.
切尔西的母亲站在一旁,抱着我。
I could tell she was a little unsure what to do now; most of the neighbors were collected in the street,
我看得出她有点不知道现在该怎么办;大多数邻居都聚集在街上了,
but she’d been close to the house and now everyone acted like they expected her to remain there instead of joining her friends.
但她已经离房子很近了,现在每个人表现得都像是他们觉得她应该留在那里,而不是和她的朋友们在一起。
