(单词翻译:单击)
When Senora left, the gate clanked into place with a solid metallic sound,
当夫人离开时,门哐当一声关上了,
but I would never again regard it as an impassible barrier.
但我再也不会认为这是一个不可逾越的障碍。
I was wrestling with Coco when Mother returned a few days later.
几天后妈妈回来的时候,我正在和可可摔跤。
At least, I thought it was my mother—I was distracted by a new wrinkle in our continuous wrestling match,
至少,我以为是我妈妈——我们的摔跤比赛中出现的新问题让我心烦意乱,
one where I would circle behind Coco and climb up on her back, gripping her with my forelimbs.
我在可可后面转圈,爬上她的背,用前肢抓住她。
It was a wonderful game, and I couldn't understand why Coco was so surly about it, twisting and snarling at me.
这是一场精彩的比赛,我不明白可可为什么这么粗暴,扭打着我,还冲我吼叫。
It felt so right, how could she be so unreceptive?
感觉很好,她怎么这么抗拒呢?
I looked up when Bobby opened the gate, and there was Mother, standing uncertainly.
鲍比打开门时,我抬头一看,母亲正站在那里,一副犹豫不决的样子。
Joyously I tore across the yard, leading a charge of dogs, but I slowed down when I got closer.
我带着一群狗欢快地跑过院子,但当我走近时,我放慢了速度。
This female dog was marked the same as Mother, with a splotch of black over one eye,
这只母狗和妈妈一样,一只眼睛上有一块黑色的斑点,
and had the stubby snout and short coat, but it wasn't Mother.
她有粗短的鼻子和短皮毛,但她不是妈妈。
She squatted and urinated submissively at our approach.
我们走近时,她顺从地蹲下来撒尿。
I circled the new dog with the others, though Fast marched right up to her to sniff at her rear end.
我和其他人一起围着新来的狗转,尽管我和Fast走到她跟前,闻了闻她的屁股。
Bobby had the same defeated sag to his shoulders as when he'd loaded us all into the truck the first time,
鲍比的肩膀耷拉着,就像他第一次把我们都装上卡车时一样,
but he stood close to the dog, protecting her with his body.
但他站得离这只狗很近,用身体保护着她。
“You'll be okay, girl,” he said.
“你会没事的,乖孩子,”他说。
It was Sister.
那是姐姐。
I had nearly forgotten all about her, and now, inspecting her, I realized how different life must be on the other side of the fence.
我几乎把她忘得一干二净,现在,仔细观察她,我意识到在栅栏的另一边生活是多么的不同。
She was thin, her ribs plainly visible, and a white, oozing scar tracked down her side.
她很瘦,肋骨清晰可见,身体一侧有一道渗液的白色伤疤。
Her mouth smelled of rotten food, and when she squatted a sickly odor came from her bladder.
她的嘴里有腐烂食物的味道,当她蹲下来时,尿出来的尿液有一股超难闻的气味。
Fast was overjoyed, but Sister was too cowed by the rest of the pack to accept his offer of play.
Fast非常高兴,但是姐姐被其他狗吓得不敢跟Fast玩耍。
She groveled in front of Top Dog and let all of the canines sniff her without making a single move to establish any boundaries.
她在狗老大面前卑躬屈膝,让所有的狗都闻了闻她,没有做任何设定界限的动作。
