(单词翻译:单击)
Chapter 3
第三章
I didn't get very far.
我没走太远。
I couldn't move as quickly as Mother to begin with, and anyway the front of the house had a stand of bushes that I felt compelled to mark.
刚开始,我不能像母亲那样敏捷地移动,不管怎样,房子前面有一排灌木丛,我觉得有必要给它们做上标记。
She didn't wait for me, never even looked back.
她没有等我,甚至没有回头。
The last I saw of my mother she was doing what she did best: sliding into the shadows, unnoticed, unseen.
我最后一次见到母亲时,她正在做她最拿手的事:溜进阴影里,不被人注意,不被人看见。
There was a time not long ago when all I wanted out of life was an opportunity to snuggle up to Mother,
曾几何时,我想从生活中得到的只是一个依偎在母亲身边的机会,
when her tongue and her warm body meant more to me than anything else.
她的舌头和温暖的身体对我来说比什么都重要。
But now, watching her disappear, I understood that by leaving me behind
但现在,看着她消失,我明白了,她把我留在身后
she was simply doing what all mother dogs must do eventually.
只是做了所有的狗妈妈最终必须做的事情。
The compulsion to follow had been the last reflexive gesture in a relationship
想要跟上她的这种冲动是我们这段关系中最后的本能动作,
that had forever changed the day our family arrived at the Yard.
从我们全家来到院子的那一天,它就永远地改变了。
My leg was still in the air when Senora came out on her porch, stopping when she saw me.
夫人从门廊里走出来时,我的腿还在空中,她看见我就停了下来。
“Why, Toby, how did you get out?”
“托比,你怎么出来的?”
If I wanted to get away I needed to run now, which was, of course, not what I did.
如果我想逃跑,我现在就得跑,当然,我并没有这么做。
Instead I wagged my tail and jumped up on Senora's legs, trying to lick her face.
相反,我摇了摇尾巴,跳到夫人的腿上,试图舔她的脸。
Her flowery smell was enlivened with a wonderfully greasy chicken odor.
她身上的花香中夹杂着一种特别油腻的鸡肉味。
She smoothed my ears back, and I followed her, addicted to her touch,
她抚平我的耳朵,我由着她,沉迷于她的抚摸,
as she strode rapidly around to the still-open gate, the dog pack slumbering inertly inside the Yard.
当她快步走到仍然敞开的大门时,那群狗还在院子里懒洋洋地睡觉。
She gave me a gentle nudge and followed me in.
她轻轻推了我一下,然后跟着我进去了。
The moment the gate shut, the other dogs were on their feet, racing over to us,
门一关上,其他的狗就站了起来,向我们跑来,
and Senora petted them and talked soothingly while I seethed a little over the divided attention.
夫人抚摸着他们,温柔地说着话,而我对他们抢走了夫人的注意力有点恼火。
It seemed more than a little unfair;
这似乎很不公平;
I'd given up Mother to be with Senora, and here she was acting as if I were no more special than anybody else!
我为了和夫人在一起而放弃了母亲,而她现在对我和其他狗却并无不同。
