(单词翻译:单击)
He had to keep his aggressive play in check, though, because when he became too rambunctious
尽管如此,他还是不得不克制自己的攻击性,因为当他变得过于暴躁的时候
one of the males would be dispatched to trot over and teach Fast a lesson.
其中一只雄性会被派过去,给Fast上一课。
When this happened, I always pretended I had never seen him before in my life.
当这一切发生的时候,我总是假装我从来没有见过他。
I loved my world, the Yard.
我爱我的世界,我的院子。
I loved running through the mud by the water trough, my paws making a dirty spatter that flecked my fur.
我喜欢在水槽边泥泞的地上奔跑,我的爪子弄得脏兮兮的,弄脏了我的皮毛。
I loved when we’d all start barking, though I seldom understood why we were doing so.
我喜欢大家一起吠叫的时候,虽然我基本不理解为什么要这么做。
I loved chasing Coco and sleeping in a pile of dogs and smelling other dogs’ poops.
我喜欢追赶可可,睡在狗堆里,闻其他狗的便便。
Many days I would drop dead in my tracks, exhausted from play, deliriously happy.
很多天,我都是在游戏中玩得精疲力尽,极其兴奋。
The older dogs played, too— even Top Dog could be seen tearing up the yard, a ragged piece of blanket in his mouth,
年长的狗也在玩耍——甚至可以看到狗老大在拆院子,嘴里叼着一块破毯子,
while the other dogs pursued and pretended not to be able to quite catch up with him.
其他的狗追着他,还假装追不上。
Mother never did, though—she had dug herself a hollow behind the railroad ties and spent most of her time just lying there.
然而,母亲从来没有这样做过——她在铁路枕木后面挖了一个坑,大部分时间都躺在那里。
When I went to see how she was doing, she growled at me as if she didn’t know who I was.
当我去看她时,她对我咆哮着,好像她不知道我是谁似的。
One evening, after dinner when the dogs were drowsy and sprawled out in the Yard,
一天晚上,晚饭后,狗儿们懒洋洋地躺在院子里,昏昏欲睡,
I saw Mother stealthily emerge from her hiding place and creep toward the gate.
我看见母亲从藏身之处悄悄出来,向大门爬去。
I was gnawing on a rubber bone, addressing a constant ache in my mouth for something to chew,
我啃着一根橡皮骨头,因为我嘴里总觉得疼,想找东西嚼嚼,
but I stopped and regarded her curiously as she sat in front of the gate.
但当她坐在门前时,我停下来好奇地打量着她。
Was someone coming?
是有人来了吗?
I cocked my head, thinking if we were having a visitor the other dogs would have started barking by now.
我歪着头,心想要是有人来作客,其他的狗早就叫起来了。
