(单词翻译:单击)
Mother stayed where she was, but Fast was as beguiled as I was, and stood next to me, his tail wagging.
妈妈呆在原地,但Fast和我一样被骗了,站在我旁边,摇着尾巴。
“You are so cute. You hungry, babies? You hungry?”
“你真可爱。小家伙,你饿了吗?你们饿了吗?”
We were parked in front of a long, flat dwelling, sparse desert grasses poking up between the truck's tires.
车带着我们停在一幢长长的平房前,稀疏的荒草从卡车的轮胎间冒了出来。
“Hey, Bobby!” one of the men yelled.
“嗨,鲍比!其中一人喊道。
The response to his shout was astonishing.
这声喊叫引起的反应令人吃惊。
From behind the house came a chorus of loud barks, so many I couldn't count the sources.
从房子后面传来一阵狗叫声,多到我压根数不清。
Fast rose up on his back legs and put his paws on the side of the cage, as if that would somehow help him see better.
Fast用后腿站起来,把爪子放在笼子的一边,好像这样可以让他看得更清楚些。
The racket continued as another man emerged from around the side of the house.
喧闹还在继续,另一个男人从房子旁边出现了。
He was brown and weathered, walking with a slight limp.
他皮肤黝黑,饱经风霜,走路有点瘸。
The way the two other men stood grinning at him carried an air of expectation.
另外两个人站在那里对他咧嘴笑的样子带着一种期待的神情。
When he saw us, he stopped in his tracks, his shoulders slumping.
看到我们时,他停了下来,肩膀耷拉下来。
“Oh no, senora. Not more dogs. We have too many now.”
“哦不,夫人。不要更多狗了。我们这儿狗太多了。”
He radiated resignation and regret, but there was nothing angry in what I felt coming off him.
他流露出听天由命和懊悔的神情,但我在他身上没有感受到一点儿愤怒。
The woman turned and approached him.
那女人转身向他走去。
“We have two puppies, and their mother. They are maybe three months old. One of them got away, and one of them died.”
“我们有两只小狗,还有它们的妈妈。它们大概有三个月大。其中一个逃跑了,另一个死了。”
“Oh no.”
“哦,不”。
“The mother was feral, poor thing. She's terrified.”
“狗妈妈比较凶猛,可怜的家伙,她吓坏了。”
“You know what they told you the last time. We have too many dogs and they will not give us a license.”
“你知道上次他们是怎么说的。我们的狗太多了,他们不会给我们许可证的。”
“I don't care.”
“我不在乎。”
“But senora, we have no room.”
“但是夫人,我们没有房间了。”
“Now Bobby, you know that's not true. And what can we do, let them live as wild animals?
“鲍比,你知道不是那样的。我们还能怎么办呢,让它们像野生动物一样生活?
They're dogs, Bobby, little puppies, you see?”
他们是狗,鲍比,小狗,你看见了吗?”
