(单词翻译:单击)
“Well, it's a fine book, and everybody ought to read it.
“嗯,这是一本好书,每个人都应该读一读。
The idea is if we don't look out the white race will be — will be utterly submerged.
书的大意是,如果我们不小心,白种人将会被完全淹没。
It's all scientific stuff; it's been proved.”
都是科学的东西;已经被证明。”
“Tom's getting very profound,” said Daisy, with an expression of unthoughtful sadness.
“汤姆变得很渊博了,”黛西说,脸上流露出一种不假思索的悲伤。
“He reads deep books with long words in them. What was that word we ——”
他读深奥的书,里面有很长的字。我们——”
“Well, these books are all scientific,” insisted Tom, glancing at her impatiently.
“这些书全是有科学依据的,”汤姆坚持着,不耐烦地瞥了她一眼。
“This fellow has worked out the whole thing.
“这家伙把一切都搞清楚了。
It's up to us, who are the dominant race, to watch out or these other races will have control of things.”
我们是占统治地位的种族,我们要小心,否则其他种族就会控制一切。”
“We've got to beat them down,” whispered Daisy, winking ferociously toward the fervent sun.
“我们得把他们打倒,”黛西低声说,一面向炽热的太阳凶恶地眨着眼睛。
“You ought to live in California —” began Miss Baker, but Tom interrupted her by shifting heavily in his chair.
“你应该住在加利福尼亚州——”贝克小姐开口说,可是汤姆在椅子上重重地挪动了一下身子,打断了她的话。
“This idea is that we're Nordics. I am, and you are, and you are, and ——” After an infinitesimal hesitation he included Daisy with a slight nod,
“有这个想法是我们是北欧人。我是,你是,你也是,而且——”他稍稍迟疑了一下,点了点头,把黛西也包括在内,
and she winked at me again.
她又朝我眨了眨眼。
“— And we've produced all the things that go to make civilization — oh, science and art, and all that. Do you see?”
“——我们创造了所有能产生文明的东西——哦,科学和艺术,所有东西。你们明白吗?”
There was something pathetic in his concentration,
他专心致志的神情看上去有点可怜,
as if his complacency, more acute than of old, was not enough to him any more.
他的自满情绪比以往更加严重,似乎对他来说已经不够用了。
When, almost immediately, the telephone rang inside and the butler left the porch
就在这时,电话铃响了,管家离开了门廊,
Daisy seized upon the momentary interruption and leaned toward me.
黛西抓住这短暂的干扰,向我靠了过来。
“I'll tell you a family secret,” she whispered enthusiastically.
“我告诉你一个家庭秘密,”她热情地低声说。
“It's about the butler's nose.
“是关于男管家的鼻子。
Do you want to hear about the butler's nose?”
你想听听管家鼻子的事吗?”
“That's why I came over to-night.”
“这就是我今晚来的原因。”
“Well, he wasn't always a butler; he used to be the silver polisher for some people in New York
“他并不总是当管家;他从前专门替纽约一个人家擦银器
that had a silver service for two hundred people.
那家有一套供二百人用的银餐具。
He had to polish it from morning till night, until finally it began to affect his nose ——”
他从早到晚都得把它擦亮,直到最后它开始影响他的鼻子——”
“Things went from bad to worse,” suggested Miss Baker.
“情况越来越糟,”贝克小姐说道。
“Yes. Things went from bad to worse, until finally he had to give up his position.”
“是的。事情越来越糟,最后他不得不辞职了。”
