在学校使用的动词短语
日期:2020-02-28 16:38

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

HI, everybody. Welcome to www.engvid.com. I'm Adam.

大家好,欢迎来到英格威英语学习网。我是亚当。

In today's video we're going to look at some phrasal verbs, but these are very specific to one context.

在今天的视频中,我们来看一些动词短语,但是这些短语只用于特别的环境。

Okay? We're going to look at phrasal verbs that you will hear or use in school, or in some sort of educational context. Okay?

我们来学习你在学校或其他教育环境中听到或使用的动词短语。

So, again, just a quick review: What is a phrasal verb?

再说一遍,快速复习一下:什么是动词短语?

It's a verb in connection with a preposition that has a different meaning than the two words themselves.

它是一个与介词相连的动词,而短语的意思与这两个词本身不同。

Okay? And you're going to see examples as we go. So we're going to start with "hand in" or "hand out".

我们在讲的时候回举例子。首先来看“hand in”和“hand out”。

So, at the beginning of a class, a teacher may hand out an assignment; like a little exercise.

在开始上课时,老师可能会发作业;比如一个小练习。

She will hand it out to everyone, and then everyone will work on it,

她会分发给每个人,然后每个人都要做,

and at the end when they're finished, all the students will hand in their exercise.

最后,当他们完成时,所有的学生都要交作业。

So, "hand out" means pass to everyone; "hand in" means give back to the teacher or put it all in one place.

“分发”的意思是发给每个人;“提交”的意思是把东西还给老师或全部放在一个地方。

"Turn in" basically means the same thing as "hand in".

“Turn in”基本上和“hand in”意思相同。

When you're finished your assignment or when your... the due date of an essay,

当你完成作业的时候,或者当你...在一篇论文的截止日期,

for example, you'll come to class and you'll turn it into the teacher; you'll give it to her, submit it to her or him, etc.

例如,你来上课,你要把它交给老师;你会交给她,提交给她或他,等等。

Keep in mind: "handout" one word is a noun, and the actual piece of paper that the teacher hands out is called a "handout".

记住:“讲义”是一个名词,老师分发的那张纸叫做一份“讲义”。

So, the teacher hands out a handout. So, it's a little bit confusing; make sure that you hear the different.

老师分发讲义。这有点令人困惑;确保你听出了区别。

"Hand out", "handout". So, this is the stress here: "handout", and "hand out" is even.

handout的重音在这里,hand out的发音是均衡的。

Two separate words, each stressed individually; whereas here you have it on the first syllable: "hand". Okay?

这是两个单独的单词,每个单词单独重读;而“handout”的重音在“hand”这里。

Now, "turn over". Very straightforward. Actually... this one actually does mean exactly what it sounds like.

现在看“turn over”。非常简单。实际上...这个词的意思和它听起来完全一样。

When you come into a class and it's test day,

当你走进教室,今天是考试日,

and all the tests are on the desks and they're upside down so you can't actually see the first question,

所有的试卷都在桌子上,而且是倒过来的,所以你实际上看不到第一个问题,

the teacher makes everybody sit down and they say:

老师让每个人坐下,他们说:

"Don't turn it over until the time begins", so "turn over" - basically flip; make it right side up.

“在时间开始之前不要翻转试卷”,所以“turn over”——基本上就是翻转;让它正面朝上。

So, the teacher will say: "Everybody ready?" They say: "Yes", and she goes: "Okay. Time starts.

老师会说:“大家准备好了吗?”他们说:“好了”,她就会说:“好的。时间开始。

Turn over your papers, and you may begin." So just flip.

翻转你的试卷,你们可以开始答题了。翻过来就可以了。

"Drop out". If you go to school and it's too difficult for you or it's going too fast and you can't keep up, you might consider dropping out.

来看“drop out”。如果你去学校,学习对你来说太难了,或者老师讲的太快了,你跟不上,你可能会考虑辍学。

So, "to drop out" basically means to quit,

“to drop out”意思就是退出,

but it's... when you drop out, you're dropping out of a school situation or a program.

在你退出时,你退出的是一个学校或者一个项目。

So, some sort of educational setting you're going to drop out of; you're going to quit.

这是你要退出的某种教育环境;你要退出。

A "dropout", again, I'm taking the two words together

一个“中途退出的人”,我要把这两个词放到一块,

and I'm making a noun - a "dropout" is a person who dropped out of school, or out of a program, or a class, etc.

这是一个名词,一个“中途退出的人”是一个辍学的人,或者退出项目或课程的人,等等。

"Sign up" basically means register. So, if there's like a school club...

“Sign up”基本上就是登记。所以,如果有一个学校俱乐部...

let's say there's a chess club and you want to join the chess club, then you need to sign up for the club.

假设有一个国际象棋俱乐部,你想加入这个俱乐部,然后你需要登记加入这个俱乐部。

Often we use it with the second preposition "for" to say what you're signing up for; the target, but you can also use it by itself.

我们经常把它和第二个介词“for”连用,来表示你报名参加的活动;目标,但你也可以单独使用它。

"Whoever wants to join the chess club should sign up no later than today."

“想参加国际象棋俱乐部的人都要在今天之前报名。”

So you can use it by itself or with the actual target; so, join, register for.

所以你可以单独使用它或者和实际的目标一起使用;所以,加入,注册。

在学校使用的动词短语.jpg


"Show up". "Show up" and "turn up" basically mean the same thing; it means to appear; to come to class.

“出现”。“Show up”和“turn up”基本上是同一个意思;它的意思是出现;来上课。

So, if you don't show up to tomorrow's lesson, you will miss a lot of valuable information.

如果你明天不来上课,你就会错过很多有价值的信息。

If you don't turn up to tomorrow's class, you will miss a lot of valuable information and maybe you won't do so well on your test.

如果你明天不来上课,你会错过很多有价值的信息,也许你的考试成绩也不会那么好。

So, basically appear; don't be absent. "Make up", okay?

所以意思就是现身;不要缺席。“弥补”

If you missed a class or if you missed a test, you will have to make it up the following week.

如果你错过了一节课或者考试,你必须在下周补考。

So, basically you will have to somehow complete this task or complete this test.

基本上你必须得完成这个任务或者完成这个测试。

You will have to do it a different time; you'll make it up, so do it a different time or do it again.

你得改天再做;你要弥补,所以要在别的时间做一次或再做一次。

Some teachers are very nice; they let their students make up a bad test result.

有些老师很好;他们让考试成绩糟糕的学生重考。

So, if you failed a test, your teacher will let you make it up next week or with another assignment. Okay.

如果你考试不及格,你的老师会让你下周补考,或者再布置一次作业。好吧。

Next: "catch on" or "catch up". Some people just have a very hard time catching on to what the teacher is saying.

接下来看“catch on”或“catch up”。有些人就是很难理解老师在说什么。

So, "to catch on" basically means to understand; to grasp the lesson or the situation.

“to catch on”基本上是理解的意思;领会课程或形势。

"Catch up" means that maybe you missed a few classes, and you missed a lot of information.

“Catch up”的意思是你可能错过了几节课,错过了很多信息。

So, all the students are here in terms of progress of the class,

就课程进度而言,所有的学生都在这里,

and you're back here because you missed it, so you need to catch up;

而你在这里,因为你错过了,所以你需要赶上进度;

you need to get all this material before the next class so that when you join your classmates,

你需要在下节课前准备好这些材料,这样当你和同学们一起上课时,

everybody is on the same page, everybody understands the same things.

每个人都进度相同,每个人都理解同样的事情。

So, "catch on" - understand; "catch up" - do the things you missed, basically, so you're in the same line with everybody.

“catch on”——理解;“赶进度”——做那些你错过的事情,这样你就和所有人一样了。

"Pick up" is very similar to "catch on". If you pick up something quickly,

“Pick up”和“catch on”很相似。如果你学得很快,

it means you understand it quickly; if you catch on quickly,

这意味着你很快就能理解;如果你理解得快,

you understood it quickly, so very similar to "catch on".

你很快能理解,所以它和catch on很像。

Now, "read up on". "Read up on" basically means do some research.

“仔细研究”。“Read up on”基本上是指做一些研究。

If you have... if you found a topic that's very interesting to you but you don't know very much about it,

如果你有...如果你发现了一个你很感兴趣的话题,但你对它知之甚少,

your teacher might tell you to read up on that topic. Okay?

你的老师可能会告诉你要仔细研究那个主题。

So we usually use it with "on", so the two prepositions.

所以我们通常使用on,这两个介词。

You can also say: "Study up on". "Read up on" means read articles,

你也可以说:“Study up on”。“Read up on”表示阅读文章,

read books about this topic; "study up on" means find out about this topic.

阅读关于这个话题的书籍;“study up on”的意思是了解一下这个话题。

Generally, how you're going to find out about the topic is by reading things.

一般来说,你要通过阅读来了解这个话题。

So, generally, these two things mean the same: "read up on", "study up on". "Go through".

一般来说,这两个词的意思是一样的:“熟读”和“钻研”。“通读”。

So, the teacher is going to give you a whole bunch of materials, like maybe articles or newspaper clippings,

老师会给你一大堆材料,比如文章或剪报,

or whatever materials, and he or she will tell you to go through all the information

各种材料,他或她都会告诉你把所有的信息都看一遍,

and get the information you need for the assignment or for the test.

以获取作业或考试所需的信息。

So, "go through" and "look over" essentially means the same thing.

“go through”和“look over”基本上是同一个意思。

Here's a whole bunch of article... here are... is a bunch of articles.

这里有很多文章...这里有...很多文章。

Go through them, find the information you need,

浏览它们,找到你需要的信息,

or look over them, find the information you need and complete you assignment or prepare for the test. Okay?

或者浏览它们,找到你需要的信息,完成你的作业或准备考试。

So, essentially the same idea. And "speak up"; very, very important.

基本上意思是一样的。“无保留地说出”,非常,非常重要的。

If a teacher tells you to speak up, there's actually two meanings.

如果老师让你speak up,实际上有两层意思。

One, she or he can't hear you. "Speak up. I can't hear you" means speak louder.

第一,她或他听不到你的话。“大声说,我听不见”的意思是说大声点。

The other meaning is: "Be confident. If you have something to say, say it; don't be shy."

另一个意思是:“要自信。如果你有话要说,就说出来;不要害羞。”

Don't be afraid to say it; speak up. Say what you have to say, and then we'll discuss it and figure out from there.

不要害怕说出来;说出来。说你想说的话,然后我们再讨论,找出答案。

If a teacher tells you to speak up, speak up. Basically mean if a teacher tells you to speak louder, speak louder.

如果老师让你大声说出来,那就大声说出来。基本上是说,如果老师让你说大声点,那就大声点。

If a teacher tells you to speak up and just say what's on your mind - don't be afraid;

如果老师让你畅所欲言,说出你的想法,不要害怕;

say it, and then deal with the consequences after that. Okay?

说出来,然后处理带来的后果。

So, these are very useful if you're in a school situation;

如果你在学校里,这些表达是非常有用的;

if you're in an educational situation or context - you really need to know all these phrasal verbs.

如果你处在一个教育情境中,你真的需要知道所有这些动词短语。

Keep in mind all of these have other meanings in other contexts,

记住所有这些短语在其他语境中还有其他含义,

so make sure you understand and you don't confuse the contexts when using phrasal verbs. Okay?

所以在使用动词短语时,要确保你理解了上下文的意思,不要把上下文搞混了。

Now, if you want to make sure you understood these,

如果你想确保你理解了这些短语,

and you want to review and have a little practice, go to www.engvid.com and take the quiz that's there right now.

如果你们想复习一下,做一些练习,你们可以登录www.engvid.com做一个小测验。

You can also ask me questions in the comment section, and I'll be happy to answer them.

你们也可以在评论区问我问题,我很乐意回答。

And that's it. If you like the video, give me a like.

就是这样。如果你喜欢这个视频,请为我点赞。

Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel if you haven't already,

别忘了订阅我的油管频道,

and come back next time for more vocab, and grammar, and other interesting lessons to help you learn English.

下次再来学习更多的词汇和语法和其他有趣的课程来帮助你学习英语。

I'll see you then. Bye-bye.

到时候见。再见。

分享到