10个有关食物的习语
日期:2020-02-20 18:19

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Hi. Welcome to www.engvid.com. I'm Adam.

大家好。欢迎来到英格威英语学习网。我是亚当。

In today's video, we're going to look at idioms from the world of food.

在今天的视频中,我们来学习有关食物的习语。

So, all of these idioms have some sort of food in them.

这些习语中都包含某种食物。

And just to review: What is an idiom?

来复习一下:什么是习语?

An idiom is an expression or a collection of words,

习语是一种表达,或者说是一些词汇的组合,

the words of which don't necessarily mean the same as the expression as a whole. Okay?

其中词汇的意思未必和整个表达的意思相同。

So, for example, we're going to talk about beans, but this idiom has nothing to do with beans.

例如,我们将要讨论豆子,但是这个习语和豆子没有任何关系。

So I'm going to give you 10 idioms. Here are five, and we're going to look at another five in a few minutes. Okay?

我要给大家讲10个习惯用语。这是5个,过几分钟我们会看到另外5个。好吧?

Let's start with: "Spill the beans". "To spill" means to drop, like,

首先来看:“Spill the beans。”“to spill”的意思是洒落,比如,

for example if you have a bag of beans and you tilt it, some of them will spill out. Okay?

例如,如果你有一袋豆子,你倾斜它,它们中的一些会洒出来。好吧?

Or you have a glass, and you spill some water.

如果你有一杯水,你会洒出一些水。

So, what does: "Spill the beans" means? Mean? It means to tell a secret. Okay?

那么spill the beans的意思是什么?意思是泄露一个秘密。

To reveal a secret. So, some of you might know the idiom: "To let the cat out of the bag" - same idea.

揭露一个秘密。有些人可能知道这个习语:“To let the cat out of the bag”-同样的意思。

"To spill the beans" - to let out a secret. It could also mean to just basically reveal some details.

To spill the beans的意思就是泄露一个秘密。它也可以表达“泄露一些细节”的意思。

So, I went out on a date last night, and then I come to work

那,我昨晚出去约会了,然后我就来上班了,

and all my co-workers-all my guy friends-they want to know what happened, so they say:

我所有的同事,所有的男性朋友,他们都想知道发生了什么,所以他们说:

"Come on. Spill the beans. How was last night? What did you do? What...?" etc. all these things.

“来吧,跟我们讲讲。昨晚怎么样?你做了什么?发生了什么?等等。所有这些事情。

So, they want details. They want the secret and they want me to tell them.

他们想知道细节。他们想知道秘密,想要我告诉他们。

So, let out the secrets or the details. Now, if you're talking about "bread and butter".

所以,意思就是把秘密或细节说出来。现在,如果你说的是“面包和黄油”。

Now, everybody knows bread, you spread some butter on it - very delicious; you eat that.

每个人都知道面包,你在上面涂一些黄油——非常美味;你把它吃掉。

But as an idiom, what does it mean when we say: "Something is my bread and butter"?

但是作为一个习语,当我们说:“Something is my bread and butter”是什么意思呢?

So, if I say: "Well, that's my bread and butter" means that's my major source. Right?

所以,如果我说:“Well, that's my bread and butter”,意思是“那是我的主要来源”。对吧?

So, if I'm a car dealer and I'm in a particular neighbourhood,

如果我是一个汽车经销商,我生活在一个特定的街区,

the people who live in that neighbourhood are my bread and butter; they're the ones who come and give me the most business.

住在那一带的人是我的顾客;他们是给我带来最多生意的人。

So, it could be the major source of income or the major source of support.

它可以是主要的收入来源或主要的支持来源。

So, some politicians, they target specifically white working-class people, or they target immigrants,

一些政客,他们专门针对白人工人阶级,或者他们针对移民,

or they target any particular demographic group because that group is their bread and butter;

或者他们针对任何特定的人口群体,因为这个群体是他们的主要支持者;

it is their major source of their support, and in some cases, their income. Okay?

这是他们的主要支持来源,在某些情况下,也是他们的收入来源。好吧?

"The big cheese". So, not: "What is the big cheese?" but: "Who is the big cheese?"

“The big cheese”不是“What is the big cheese?”而是:“Who is the big cheese?”

The big cheese is the boss. Okay? So, there's a new decision,

大人物指的是老板。比如,有一项新决定,

a new policy that's going to come into effect in the company, and I'm looking, and I'm going:

有一项即将在公司生效的新政策,我正在寻找,我问道:

"Whose idea was this? Was this?" And my co-worker says: "Oh, that's the big cheese.

“这是谁的主意?这是?”我的同事说:“噢,是老板的主意。

He wanted it, so it's got to be done." I say: "Well, that's stupid."

他想要这么做,所以它就得这么做。”我说道:“这很愚蠢。”

Well, still. The big cheese wanted it - that's how it's going to be.

还是那句话,老板想这么做,事情就得这么做。

So, the boss knows. Sometimes you might hear: "the head cheese", same idea.

所以,老板知道。有时你可能会听到:“the head cheese”,同样的意思。

"The head cheese" means the boss or whoever's in charge at the place.

The head cheese指的是老板或者任何掌控者。

Now: "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

现在来看:“The apple doesn't fall far from the tree”。

So, imagine a tree and it has apples, when the apple drops,

想象一棵树上有苹果,当苹果掉落时,

it drops very close to the tree; not very far away from it. Right?

它落在离树很近的地方;离它不远。对吧?

Essentially, what this means is when we talk about a son and a father... A son and his father.

本质上,这意味着当我们谈论儿子和父亲时...一个儿子和他的父亲。

So, if the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, we mean the son is very similar to his father.

如果苹果没有落在离树很远的地方,我们的意思是这个儿子和他的父亲很像。

It could be in looks, but usually it's more about behaviour.

它可以指外表,但通常更多指的是行为。

And for some reason, we use it more about son and father than daughter and mother.

出于某种原因,我们更多地用它来形容儿子和父亲,而不是女儿和母亲。

So, when we... When somebody says: "Oh, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree"

所以,当我们...当有人说:“Oh, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree”,

means that the son is doing the same things as his dad.

意思是说儿子和他爸爸做着同样的事情。

Now, usually we talk about this in... Usually in negative things.

通常我们讨论的...通常是消极的事情。

So, when somebody does something bad and we say: "He's just like his dad"...

当某人做了坏事,我们说:“他就像他爸爸一样”...

We say: "Oh, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

我们说:“Oh, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree”。

He did bad things, his son is doing bad things; they're very similar in that way.

他做了坏事,他的儿子也在做坏事;它们在这方面很相似。

If you want to remember: An apple is the fruit of a tree; a child is technically the fruit of a couple of people. Right?

如果你想记住:苹果是树上的果实;严格地说,一个孩子是两个人的结晶。对吧?

Now, what does it mean "to bring home the bacon"?

那么,“to bring home the bacon”又是什么意思呢?

"Bacon", little strips of pork, you fry them and put them on your sandwich or whatever.

“培根”是一种小块的猪肉条,你把它们煎一下,然后放在你的三明治或其他什么上面。

"Bring home the bacon", it doesn't mean bring home pork.

“Bring home the bacon”意思不是把培根带回家。

It means bring home money or earn a living. Earn a living, make a living; salary.

它的意思是把钱带回家或谋生。谋生,薪水。

So, if you're bringing home the bacon, you're bringing the money to take care of the family, of the house, etc.

如果你在赚钱养家,你就是在赚钱养家,等等。

So, there's five; let's look at five more.

这里有五个,我们再来看五个。

10个有关食物的习语.jpg


Okay, so now we have five more, and again, we're starting with butter.

我们再来看五个。我们再次以黄油开始。

Now, if you think about butter, what is it? It's basically a rich, creamy milk. Right?

如果你想到黄油,它是什么?它基本上是一种浓郁的奶油牛奶。对吧?

It's tasty, it has a little bit of fat in it, a very rich flavour.

它很好吃,里面有一点脂肪,味道很丰富。

So, when we "butter somebody up", what are we doing?

我们“butter somebody up”,这是什么意思?

Are we putting butter all over them? Because that's not really good; that's kind of gross, actually.

我们要在他们身上涂满黄油吗?因为这不是很友好;实际上,这有点恶心。

But we are doing the opposite - we are flattering. To flatter someone.

但我们正在做相反的事情——我们在奉承。奉承别人。

To say: "Oh, you know, you look very pretty today."

说:“哦,你知道,你今天看起来很漂亮。”

Or: "You're so smart, and you're so handsome, and you're so... You're so good at what you do."

或者:“你很聪明,你很帅,你很...你很擅长自己的工作。”

When you're doing this, you're buttering somebody up.

当你这样做的时候,你是在奉承别人。

You're making them greasy so it's easier to slip something out of them.

你把它们弄得很油腻,所以很容易从里面滑出东西来。

You want something from them, so you make them feel really good,

你想从他们身上得到什么,所以你让他们感觉很好,

you say really nice things about them,

你说他们的好话,

and then whatever favour you want just kind of slides off them much more smoothly.

然后不管你想要什么只要顺着他们的毛摸就行了。

So, "to butter someone up" - to flatter, to praise. Okay?

所以,“to butter someone up”意思就是奉承,赞扬。

Make them really feel really good, and then they're more willing to give you what you want. Okay.

让他们感觉真的很好,然后他们更愿意给你你想要的。好吧。

"To have your cake and eat it too". Now, sometimes you want two things that conflict.

来看“To have your cake and eat it too”。有时候你想要两件冲突的东西。

You want the one side, but you don't want the other side.

你想要一边,但你不想要另一边。

Sometimes you get to have your cake, means you get the one thing and you get to avoid or get the second thing as well. Right?

有时你可以得到你的蛋糕,意思是你可以得到一件东西,而你不会或者会得到第二件东西。

So, you have your cake and you get to eat it... Oh, I made a mistake here; sorry.

鱼和熊掌兼得。这里有个错误。抱歉。

"Have your cake and eat it too"; not "it, it". So, I'm trying to think.

“Have your cake and eat it too”,我在思考。

So, taxes. Let's say you win the lottery. Like, in the US,

聊聊税收。假如你中了彩票。比如,在美国,

if you win a lottery, you have to pay almost half of it, depending how big it is, back to the government in taxes.

如果你中了彩票,你得上交给政府几乎一半的奖金,作为税收。这取决于中奖数额的大小,

So you get your cake, but then half of it is gone to the government.

所以你得到了你的蛋糕,但是它的一半去了政府。

But in some countries, you get to have your cake and eat it too.

但是在一些国家,鱼与熊掌可兼得。

You win your million dollars, and you keep the whole million and you don't pay any taxes.

你赢了百万美元,你可以得到所有的奖金,你不用付任何税。

So, you don't have the side and the conflicting; you get to have both of the good of whatever the issue is.

所以,你没有立场和冲突;无论问题是什么,你都能从中受益。

And it could be in any different context where you get both things that you want,

在任何不同的情况下你都可以得到你想要的东西,

even though if they conflict with each other. Okay? "Don't cry over spilled milk" or "over spilt milk".

即使它们相互冲突。好吧?覆水难收。

Now, notice here I have "ed" ending or "t" ending. This is sometimes North American or British thing.

注意到这里有个是ed结尾,另外一个没有ed。这是北美和英国的差异。

British might spell it with a "t" more; Americans/Canadians will spell it with an "ed" more.

英国人用更多用的是spilt,美国人和加拿大人用spilted更多。

Meaning is the same, and we're talking about the past.

意思一样,我们讨论的是过去。

So: "Don't cry over spilled milk." So, if you're eating a bowl of cereal,

覆水难收。所以,如果你正在吃一碗麦片,

and your dog comes and knocks the table,

你的狗来敲桌子,

and a little bit of the milk comes out on the table - so, are you going to be upset? No.

有一点牛奶洒在了桌子上——所以,你会不高兴吗?不。

There's no point. It's already done, it can't be undone, there's no point being upset about something you can't change.

没有意义。已经发生了,不能再收回了,没有必要因为无法改变的事情而烦恼。

Another way to say this is just: "Let it go." Okay?

另一种说法是:“Let it go。”好吧?

Don't be angry or don't be upset about things that have already happened and that you can't change.

不要因为已经发生的事情或者你无法改变的事情生气或者难过。

Just move on, and hopefully it doesn't happen again; learn a lesson, maybe prevent it in the future or avoid it in the future.

继续前进,希望它不会再发生;吸取教训,也许在未来可以预防或避免它。

Now, if something is "not somebody's cup of tea"... So: "It's not my cup of tea" means it's not to my taste.

现在,如果某事“不合某人口味 ”...所以:“It's not my cup of tea”意思是不合某人口味。

And we're talking about taste. Right? Now, "taste", not like flavour.

我们说的是品味。对吧?品味,不是味道。

I know you're thinking "tea" and "flavour", but "taste" means preference; what you like, what you don't like.

我知道你在想“茶”和“味道”,但“品味”意味着偏好;你喜欢什么,你不喜欢什么。

So, somebody says: "Oh, I want to introduce you to this person."

所以,有人说:“哦,我想把你介绍给这个人。”

And you say: "Oh, yeah. I know him. He's not really my cup of tea."

你说:“哦,是的。我知道他。他不是我的菜。”

He's not my type; he's not the type of person that I choose to date or go out with. Right?

他不是我喜欢的类型;他不是我选择约会的那种人。好吧?

So: "not my cup of tea" - not my preference; not to my taste.

所以:“not my cup of tea”意思是我不喜欢;不合我的口味。

And to "take something with a grain of salt".

来看“take something with a grain of salt”。

So, if you look at salt very closely, very tiny, tiny little grains - that's what we call each little piece of salt.

如果你仔细观察盐,非常非常小的颗粒,这就是我们所说的每一小块盐。

If you "take something with a grain of salt" means you don't accept it at face value.

如果你说,“take something with a grain of salt”,意思是对某事半信半疑。

"You don't accept it at face value" means you don't accept it as it is.

“对某事半信半疑”意味着你不完全接受它。

You always have a little bit of suspicion. So, if somebody says: "Oh, this is true", you know what?

你总是有点怀疑。所以,如果有人说:“哦,这是真的”,你知道吗?

Maybe I don't believe you 100%. I'm going to take everything you say with a grain of salt.

也许我不完全相信你。我对你说的每句话都半信半疑。

So, I... I'll believe you 90%, but that 10% I'll go check and make sure that you're correct. Right?

所以,我...我相信你说的90%,但那10%我会去检查一下,确保你是正确的。对吧?

So, everything that you read in the newspapers or watch on, like,

所以,你在报纸上看到的一切,比如

CNN or Fox TV or whatever - take it all with a grain of salt; it's not 100% the truth. Okay?

CNN或者福克斯电视,对这一切要有所保留,它不是百分之百的真相。

So, anytime you're suspicious of somebody, and you're not sure he always...

当你怀疑某人的时候,你不确定他是否总是...

He or she always tells the truth - just take everything they say with a grain of salt;

他或她总是说真话——只是对他们说的每句话都半信半疑;

go do your own research, find out your own facts, and then you'll be sure of the information that you need. Okay?

去做你自己的调查,找出你自己的事实,然后你就会确定你需要的信息。好吧?

So, I hope these were pretty helpful.

我希望这些对你有帮助。

All of these have some sort of food in them. Good to know, because we talk about food all the time.

所有这些习语里面都有某种食物。知道这些表达很好,因为我们一直在谈论食物。

If you have any questions about these, please go to www.engvid.com in the forum; you can ask me questions there.

如果你有任何关于这些的问题,请登录www.engvid.com,你可以在论坛那里问我问题。

There's also a quiz you can take to check your understanding of these idioms.

你也可以在那里做一个小测验来检查你对这些习语的理解。

I hope you like this video, and press "Like" on YouTube, and subscribe to my channel.

我希望你喜欢这个视频,请在油管上点击“喜欢”,订阅我的频道。

And come back again soon, and we'll do this again. See you then. Bye.

快来观看更多视频吧,我们一块学习。再见。

分享到