(单词翻译:单击)
Every waterway in the United States is supposed to be safe enough to swim in every single day; but, of course, they're not.
按理说,美国的每条河道都应该干净到人可以每天在里面游泳的程度;但实际上它们当然是没有这么干净的 。
I am getting into these contaminated waterways.
我到这些被污染的河道里游泳 。
Someone's gotta risk something.
因为总得有人冒点险吧 。
If people see that image, they start to ask themselves, why is that guy in there?
大家看到我就会想,那哥们儿为什么要跑到那么脏的河里游泳啊?
That starts a discussion that can lead to a clean up.
继而就能引发大家的讨论,促使大家来清理我们的河道 。
My name's Christopher Swain, and I've swum over 3,000 miles in over 25 different contaminated waterways in North America.
我是克里斯托弗·斯温,我已经在北美25条被污染过的河道中游过了3000多英里 。
I wanna advocate for these waterways, and I can energize clean-ups.
我想为这些河道发声,激励大家发起清理工作 。
I learned to swim as a kid.
我小时候就学会游泳了 。
I was the kid who didn't wanna get out of the water.
我就是那个下水了就不想再起来的孩子 。
As I got older, and I think this is true for many of us,
随着年龄的增长,我开始意识到我们的水已经被各种各样的物质污染了,
I started to become aware that waters are contaminated with everything from arsenic to zinc,
从砷到锌的各种化学物质,从人类产生的垃圾到核废料的各种垃圾,
everything from human waste to nuclear waste.
大家应该也有这样的感受吧 。
We saw our waterways as dumpsters. We saw them as sewers;
我们视河道为垃圾箱,为下水道;
legally speaking, since 1972 when the Federal Clean Water Act passed,
从法律的角度来讲,按照1972年通过的《联邦清洁水法》的规定,
all navigable U.S. waterways have to be safe for swimming and fishing and drinking; if they're a fresh water creek.
美国所有可通航水域,如果是淡水水源的话,都应该安全到可以游泳、钓鱼和饮用 。
Dozens and dozens of those waterways were in and around New York City.
纽约市及其周边就有几十条这样的河道 。
Newtown Creek is the worst of those.
纽敦河是污染最为严重的一条 。
It is contaminated with lots of things:
这里的水含有各种各样的污染物:
heavy metals, toxic chemicals, raw sewage, and one of the largest ongoing oil spills in the history of the United States.
重金属、有毒化学物质、未经处理的污水,这里还曾发生过美国历史上规模最大的石油泄漏事件之一 。
So, in some way, we stole this waterway from ourselves.
所以,在某种程度来上,是我们自己亲手毁掉了这条河 。
What I'm saying is let's turn that around.
我想说的是,我们要扭转局面 。
When I decide to take on a waterway…this is my puncture-resistant dry suit.
我决定到某条河游泳之后……这是我的防刺防水泳衣 。
I take all these measures on all my swims to protect my body and to protect my health.
为了保护我的身体,保护我的健康,每次游泳我都是全副武装才下水的 。
I wear a cap; I wear goggles; I wear ear plugs; I never put my head under, even so, I've gotten sick lots of times.
泳帽、眼镜、耳塞全都得戴上,而且我从来不把头浸到水下,尽管如此,我还是经常会生病 。
Rashes, skin infections, ear infections, respiratory infections.
皮疹,皮肤感染,耳朵感染,呼吸道感染等等 。
It's a hazard that goes with the territory.
那块儿地就有着这样的危险 。
The reason nobody has swum the length of Newtown Creek in history is that at least in the last 100 years, it's been far too disgusting.
一直没有人游过纽敦河全程,至少在过去100年里没有人游完过,是因为这条河实在是太恶心了 。
No one in their right mind would go in there.
脑子正常的人是不会到那条河里去的 。
It's like swimming through a dirty diaper that's been garnished with oil, gasoline, and trash.
那感觉就像是在糊满了油、汽油和垃圾的脏尿布上游泳一样 。
Every part of your skin wants to crawl.
你皮肤的每个毛孔都在战栗 。
So why do I push on and do it?
那我为什么还坚持游呢?
I'm doing this out of love, like I really do love the water, and I don't have a lot to work with.
是因为爱,就像我真的很喜欢水一样 。而且我也没什么帮手 。
I'm not a wealthy person; I'm not a scientist.
因为我既不富有,也不是什么科学家 。
What I've got is my body and my life to offer.
我能给予的只有我的身体和我的生命 。
I'm gonna keep going back in my dry suit and my hazmat gear until these waterways are clean;
今后,我还会继续穿着我的防水泳衣,戴上我的防毒装备到这些河道里游泳,直到它们被清理干净为止;
and when they're clean, I'm gonna get into these clean waterways in my bathing suit and enjoy them with my fellow citizens.
到那时,我还会到已经变干净的河道里裸泳,和其他市民分享在里面游泳的乐趣 。