(单词翻译:单击)
Underreporting and bad media are only two of the many systemic issues
报道不够和报道不实是体制的众多问题之一,
that America's rape victims have to contend with.
也是困扰强奸受害者的大问题 。
Samantha bee filed this report.
请听萨曼莎·比的报道 。
America faces a litany of complex problems that we can't agree on how to fix.
在美国,人们在许多复杂问题上无法达成一致意见 。
Our crumbling infrastructure, simplifying our bloated tax code.
摇摇欲坠的基础设施,简化臃肿的税码 。
Is science even real? Hard stuff.
科学究竟是不是真的?难题一大堆 。
But Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz thinks she has an issue that no one can disagree with.
但国会女议员黛比·沃瑟曼·舒尔茨认为,她的这个问题所有人都会同意 。
Right now, a woman doesn't have the right across America to terminate her rapist's parental rights.
如今在全美,女性没有权利终止强奸犯的亲权 。
No, that is not true.
这不是真的 。
If you are the victim of rape and you conceive a child,
如果你是强奸受害者,并不幸怀孕,
then you should be able to terminate your rapist's parental rights.
你就应该有权终止强奸犯的亲权 。
So we're talking about custody, talking about visitation. Yes.
你指的是监护权,探望权 。是的 。
Every other weekend you have to meet your rapist in a Denny's parking lot
每隔一个周末,你都要去丹尼斯停车场见那个强奸犯,
and hand over your child. Exactly. Right.
之后把孩子交给他 。没错 。
This cannot be real.
这不是真的 。
No, that doesn't happen, no, I refuse to believe that.
我不敢相信这是真的,这不可能发生 。
I spent two years of my own life fighting my attacker for custody of my daughter.
在监护权问题上,我与他争论了两年的时间 。
And it's what prompted me to go to law school.
这也是为什么我要去读法律的原因 。
Okay, so this actually is a thing.
恩恩,这的确是一个问题 。
And Shauna Prewitt has been a public advocate to end this unbelievable situation.
肖娜·普鲁伊特一直是一名公开宣扬者,她提倡终止这种状况 。
We know that about 32,000 women each year become pregnant through rape.
每年大约有3.2万人因强奸而怀孕 。
At least a third of them go on to raise that child.
至少有三分之一抚养孩子 。
So we're looking at, you know, at least 10,000 potential custody battles every single year in this country.
所以每年产生的监护权问题就至少有1万例 。
Oh, that's very interesting. Okay, excuse me just one second.
恩,很有趣,抱歉,我出去一下,马上回来 。
Just be right back.
马上 。
Prewitt's numbers were making my brain explode.
这些数字快要让我的脑子炸掉了 。
I was gonna need a little help getting through this story.
我需要帮助来度过难关 。
Luckily I was prepared for just such an emergency.
幸运的是,我遇到了这样的突发情况 。
Emotional support baby chickens.
哦小鸡仔,我的情感支柱 。
The good news is Wasserman-Schultz introduced legislation to fix this.
好消息是,沃瑟曼·舒尔茨希望通过立法来解决此事 。
We do have bipartisan support.
两党都对此大为支持 。
This bill is endorsed by pro-life groups and pro-choice groups.
该项法案得到了反堕胎组织和主张堕胎组织的支持 。
I expected that if there was any issue that would sail through without a problem,
如果有哪个问题可以顺利得到解决的话,
that it would be this one.
我想应该是这个 。
But the bill didn't even get a hearing.
但这个法案并没有获得听取会 。不不不 。
Okay, no, the parental rights, nope.
不不,亲权 。
It's gonna be okay. It's gonna be okay.
一切都会好的,一切都会好的 。
So why did this "Can't Fail bill" fail?
为什么这个“不可能有失法案”失败了呢?
There is a small provision in the bill that actually spends some money.
该法案中有一则条款,它需要花费资金 。
The bill didn't move over this small funding issue.
该法案因为小小的资金问题而不能向前发展 。
Small funding, okay. So this is a weird question.
小小的资金问题,恩我有一个比较怪诞的问题 。
But how much money is too much money to stop rapists from pursuing their custodial rights?
就剥夺强奸犯的监护权,多少钱算多呢?
Well, let me share it with you.
恩 听我说 。
The bill authorizes $5 million per year for five years. For...sake.
该法案批准每年500万美金,一共五年 。老天 。
Do you know how much the government spends on promoting fruits and vegetables on social media?
你知道政府在社交媒体上促销蔬菜水果花了多少钱吗?
$5 million a year, hashtag get fruit!
一年500万美金,#水果到手!
So we're cool with Team Grapes but not Team Helping Rape Victims? Got it.
怎么卖水果那么带劲,帮助强奸受害者就那么困难?明白了 。
In the meantime Wasserman-Schultz reintroduced her bill and thinks that this time it may pass.
与此同时,沃瑟曼·舒尔茨又重新提交了该项法案,并认为这次法案将顺利通过 。
If it passes then no woman will ever have to face this nightmare ever again,
如果法案通过了,女性将不会遭受这样的噩梦了,
problem solved, right? Well, I wish it were that simple.
问题解决了,对吗?如果问题真的那么简单就好了 。
But it's not automatic. It is actually up to the states.
这个不是通过了就能起作用的,它要由各个大州来决定 。
So what we do in the bill is we incentivize states that don't have this law in place.
该法案就是要去激励那些还没有实施该法律的大州 。
We have to either use a carrot or a stick.
萝卜和大棒我们必须选一样 。
In this case we chose a carrot.
这次我们选的是萝卜 。
I feel like I would have chosen the stick.
我认为我们应该选大棒 。
I know, the stick can be tempting.
我知道大棒很诱人 。
So constitutionally each state has to change its own laws.
从宪法层面而言,各大州法律需要进行改变 。
Quick question, why do the states even need an incentive?
那么问题来了,为什么他们需要刺激措施?
I think that the problem is that it goes back to the suspicion that
我觉得问题的关键可能是因为怀疑,
legislators have of raped women.
怀疑在立法者之中有受害女性 。
And not only that, some women have been threatened by their attackers
不光是这个,许多女性曾遭受强奸者的威胁,
who have said if you stop the criminal process against me
如果你不再告我,
I will agree not to seek any custody of parental rights.
我将不再寻求监护权 。
I'm just gonna go get some fresh air.
我出去透透气 。
That's it, I'm out. I'm out of shock.
我出来了,吓死我了 。
Okay, just walk and think, think and walk, okay. Whooo.
走一走,想一想,喔喔喔 。
Nobody should have to choose between dropping charges or a custody battle.
在撤诉和监护权之争问题上,没人应该做出选择 。
Oh my god. Oh my god. Where am I?
天啊,老天,我在哪?
Oh, this is pretty. So snowy.
哦,这里真美,雪花纷飞的感觉 。
Not infuriatingly sad. You know what, why would I leave?
不会让我感到悲伤,我就住这儿怎么样?
I'll just enjoy my tea. Grow a beard.
在这里喝一杯茶,养养胡子 。
Would you look at the lack of soul-crushing government dysfunction?
你愿意看到这样一个不作为的政府?
I could make a new life here.
我可以在这里重新开始 。
Sam! What do you want?
萨曼莎!干嘛?
It's Hasan Minhaj from the Daily Show.
我是《每日秀》的哈桑 。
I know who you are.
我知道你是谁 。
You need to finish the piece. I'm not going back.
你要完成你的节目 。我不会去 。
But it's important. I know it's important. Goddamn it.
很重要 。我知道它重要 。老天 。
There was still work to do.
啊,任重道远啊 。
Listen, can I borrow your razor?
我能借你剃须刀一用吗?
I left that lady sitting there for a long time.
我让那位女士在那里等了很久很久 。
Okay, here we go.
开始吧 。
Are there any states out there doing the right thing on their own?
有没有认真做事的大州呢?
Florida not only has a law, it has a terrific law that's actually a model
佛州不仅有法律,而且相当棒,该州的法律模式
that I would like to get replicated in a number of other states.
我希望能够复制到其它大州去 。
Did you just say Florida? Yeah.
你刚才是说佛罗里达州吗?是的 。
I've been doing this job for a long time and I have never said these words before.
我干了那么久,但从来没说过这几个字 。
Good job, Florida!
棒极了,佛州!
I knew what I had to do.
我知道我要做什么了 。
Time for a good old-fashioned state-shaming.
点名时间到了!
Hi, if your state is red on this map, call your legislator
你好,如果你住在红色区域,请告诉当地州议员,
and tell them to get their...together.
让他们齐心协力,通过该法案 。
Don't like maps? Here are their names.
不喜欢地图,听我给你念念 。
Alabama, Arizona, Maryland, Minnesota, I'm so mad! That felt better.
阿拉巴马、亚利桑那、马里兰、明尼苏达,我生气了!这样好多了 。
And while we're waiting, if you are looking for me, I'll be in my happy place. Oh, yeah.
等待之余,如果你想找我,你知道我在哪,快乐天堂 。真好 。