看电影《辛普森一家》学英语第16期:epa就是环境保护局
日期:2013-08-30 10:52

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏

Russ CargiII, head of the EPA, here to see the president.
罗斯·卡吉尔,环保局局长,来见总统
Mr. President.
总统先生
Ja, that is me.
对,我就是 (施瓦辛格总统)
PoIIution in SpringfieId has reached crisis IeveIs.
斯普林菲尔德的污染已经到了危急状态
I hate this job. Everything's ''crisis'' this and ''end of the worId'' that.
我真讨厌这差事 不是危机,就是什么世界末日
Nobody opens with a joke. I miss Danny De Vito.
就没人先说个笑话引出议题 我想念丹尼·狄·维托
You want a joke, huh? Stop me if you've heard this one.
你想听笑话? 要是你听过这个的话,就阻止我讲下去
Look at those angry eyes and giant teeth.
看看这些愤怒的眼睛和巨型獠牙
It's Iike Christmas at the Kennedy compound.
就跟在肯尼迪家过圣诞节一样恐怖
You know, sir, when you made me head of the EPA. . .
总统先生,您委任我为环保局长时…
you appointed one of the most successfuI men in America. . .
您将百年不遇的人才
to the Ieast successfuI agency in government.
低就于千年不遇的无能部门
And why did I take the job?
可我为什么还是欣然接受呢?
Because I'm a rich man who wanted to give something back.
因为我是个富翁,希望回馈社会
Not the money, but something.
我不是指钱,而是回馈些非物质的东西
So here is our chance to kick some ass for Mother Earth.
眼下这就是我们施展拳脚的机会
I'm Iistening. WeII, I've narrowed your choices down. . .
接着说 我已经提炼出
to five unthinkabIe options. …
五个不可思议的议案
Each wiII cause untoId misery--
每个都有难以预计的恶果…
I pick number three.
我选第三个
You don't wanna read them first?
您不先读读再做决定吗?
I was eIected to Iead, not to read. Number three!
我当总统是为了"领导"不是为了"读议案" 我选第三个!


妙语佳句

1.narrow
adj. 狭窄的,有限的;勉强的;精密的;度量小的
n. 海峡;狭窄部分,隘路
vt. 使变狭窄
vi. 变窄
We threaded along a narrow pass.
我们穿过一条狭窄的通道。
But the higher you go it starts to get narrow.
再到高处,塔开始变窄。

2.untold
adj. 数不清的;未说过的;未透露的;无限的
Yet it is so vast that it is creating untold riches.
但它以庞大的规模,造就了数不清的富豪。
它制定了一项同盟政策,旨在挽救各美国印第安部落的语言。

剧情百科

爷爷在教堂上失声大喊的epa原来就是环境保护局……看来整件事情的主因就是环境污染,而环境保护局给总统的实行措施方案又会是什么呢?……

考考你 Q&A
Please fill in the blanks with the proper words

1.Yet he also recognizes the need ______ ______ government functions.
不过,他也认为确实需要保留某些政府职能。

2.______ ______ that you know what time the train leaves.
你要弄清楚火车开出的具体时间。

本期答案见下期

上期答案:

1.Please repeat what you said, I didn't quite catch on.
请把你的话再说一遍,我没十分听明白。

2.They should take some crash courses to catch up with their classmates.
他们应该参加一些速成课程来赶上他们的同学。

分享到
重点单词
  • vastadj. 巨大的,广阔的 n. 浩瀚的太空
  • compoundn. 混合物,复合词 n. 院子(用围墙圈起来的场地)