(单词翻译:单击)
Notes
注意事项
In order to communicate richly detailed images of a kind that allow us to deal with large quantities of information,
为了以一种使我们能够处理大量信息的方式传播细节翔实的图像,
we have to combine two technologies:First,computers and then transmission lines or networks.
必须将两种技术结合在一起:首先是计算机,其次是传输线路或网络。
Computers now have a rapidly growing capacity to transform data into recognizable patterns or images that allow us to use them handily.
计算机在将数据变换成我们可灵活运用的可识别的图形或图像方面的能力正在快速地增长。
In order to communicate those images,or those conglomerations of vast quantities of data among ourselves,
为了在我们之间传输这些图像或大量数据块,
we need networks capable of carrying those images to every hosue and business.
需要能将这些图像传送到每人家庭和部门的网络。
We know how to do that technologically,
我们知道在技术上如何实现这一任务,
but in order to accomplish it we have to unscramble the legal,regulatory and financial problems
但为了完成它,我们还必须弄清楚法律上、规章和财政上的问题。
that have thus far threatened our ability to complete such a network.
这些问题迄今仍是我们实现这一网络任务的障碍。
we are already using it to communicate in ways that enrich and even save our lives.
我们已经在使用网络通信丰富乃至拯救生活。
All of these application will enhance the quality of life and spur economic growth.
所有这些应用提高了生活质量,促进了经济的发民展。
Over half of the U.S.work force is now in jobs that are information based.
在美国半数以上的人在从事以信息为基础的工作。
The telecommunication and information sector of the U.S.economy now accounts for 12 per cent of the Gross Domestic Product,
美国的经济中,电信及信息方面占国民总值的12%,
and is growing much faster than any other sector of our economy.
并且其增长速度比其它任何经济部门都快。
Last year the revenues in this sector exceeded 700 billion dollars.
去年这方面的税收已超过七千亿美元。
We exported over 48 billion dollars of telecommunications equipment ablone.
仅电信设备口即达480亿美元。
Today,more than ever,businesses run on information.
当今以至于今后,行业运作更依赖于信息。
A fast,flexible information network is as essential to manufacturing as steel and plastic.
快速、灵活的信息网络对于加工业,如钢铁和塑料是极其重要的。
If we do not move decisively to ensure that America has the information infrastructure we need,every business and consumer in America will suffer...
如果我们不果断地设法保证美国所需要的信息基础设施,每个行业和用户都将遭受。
We must first udnerstand how the information market place will operate.
我们首先应该知识信息市场如何工作。