(单词翻译:单击)
a chip off the old block: a person who is very similar to their mother or father in the way that they look or behave (相貌或性格)酷似父亲或母亲的人
having nothing to do and not knowing what you want to do 无所事事;无事可做
Come and see us, if you're at a loose end. 你要是闲着无事就来我们这儿坐坐吧.
blow your top: to get very angry 大发脾气;愤怒
Unless you're a robot, you are bound to blow your top.
除非你是个机器人,否则定会被气炸.
fire away: used to tell somebody to begin to speak or ask a question (让人)开始说,开始问
‘I've got a few questions.’ ‘OK then, fire away.’ “我有几个问题。”“好,那就问吧。”
(not) get a word in edgeways
(not) to be able to say anything because somebody else is speaking too much (因别人说话太多)插(不上)嘴
When Mary starts talking, no one else can get a word in edgeways. 玛丽讲起话来,别人谁也插不上嘴。
have/exchange words (with somebody) (about something)
to argue or quarrel with somebody (与某人)争论,争吵
We've had words. 我们吵过架。
Words were exchanged. 发生过争吵了。
get/have cold feet
to suddenly become nervous about doing something that you had planned to do 临阵胆怯;畏缩
He was going to ask her but he got cold feet and said nothing. 他本来是想向她提出邀请的,可事到临头他却胆怯得什么也没有说。
get on like a house on fire
of people 人 to become friends quickly and have a very friendly relationship 很快就打得火热;一见如故;一拍即合
be in two minds about something/about doing something
to be unable to decide what you think about somebody/something, or whether to do something or not 犹豫不决;拿不定主意
I was in two minds about the book(= I didn't know if I liked it or not). 我说不清我是否喜欢这本书。
She's in two minds about accepting his invitation. 是否接受他的邀请,她犹豫不决。
let the cat out of the bag
to tell a secret carelessly or by mistake (无意中)泄露秘密
I wanted it to be a surprise, but my sister let the cat out of the bag. 我想给大家来个惊奇,可我妹妹却先说漏了嘴。
put your foot in it
to say or do something that upsets, offends or embarrasses somebody (在语言或行为上)使人不安,冒犯别人,使人尴尬
I really put my foot in it with Ella─I didn't know she'd split up with Tom. 我真的冒犯了埃拉 我不知道她和汤姆分手了。
in all weathers
in all kinds of weather, good and bad 不论天气好坏;风雨无阻
She goes out jogging in all weathers. 无论天气好坏,她都出去慢跑锻炼。