(单词翻译:单击)
对话文本
Bob: thank you for making time for me today, Carol.
Carol: don’t mention it, Bob. What’s up?
Bob: my wife backed these cookies from scratch. Please take one.
Carol: Mmmm, chewy. These are out of this world!
Bob: my wife’s a great cook.
Carol: you can say that again. I don’t want to make a big pig of myself, but let me take a few more.
Bob: Oink oink! Just kidding!
Carol: I’d like to sell these at the village market. My customers will go nuts over these!
Bob: how much would you pay us for each cookie?
Carol: I am not sure. I need to roll up my sleeves and figure out the finances.
Bob: can you give me a ballpark figure now?
Carol: I don’t want to jump the gun. Sit tight for now, and we’ll talk things over this evening.
实战美国俚语
Ballpark figure—an approximate number 大致数字,近似数;粗略估计数,毛估数;约数;概算,大略的估计
Don’t mention it!—you’re welcome 不用客气,不用谢;没关系,不用介意
To figure out—to solve; to determine 弄清,理解:
I can't figure out what he's trying to say.
我弄不懂他想说什么。
From scratch—from the beginning 从头开始,从零开始
We had to start again from scratch.
我们必须再从头开始。
To jump the gun—to start doing sth too soon or ahead of everybody else过早行动;提前行动
He jumped the gun and opened the test before the teacher said to start.
在老师说开始前,他行动过早,先翻开了试卷。
Make a pig of oneself—to overeat; to eat too much 大吃大喝;吃喝过多
The child made a pig of himself at dinner and now feels very sick.
那孩子在晚餐时吃得太多,现在感到很不舒服。
Roll up one’s sleeves—to prepare to work (卷起袖子)大干一场
To sit tight—to wait patiently 不动
If your car breaks down, just sit tight and wait for the police to come along.
如果你的车子抛锚,就留在原处不动,等警察来。
You can say that again—I agree with you 我同意,你说对了