胡敏读故事记单词雅思词汇第74课:临时做出的辩解
日期:2016-09-07 14:18

(单词翻译:单击)

impart-inbreeding An improvised alibi

临时做出的辩解

Tommy Thompson implored the cop to impart mercy. He knew that the cop's first impulse

汤米.汤普森恳求警察 发点儿慈悲。 他知道警察的第一冲动

was to accept the easiest answer to a crime, but to imply that Tommy was guilty would have been wrong;

是接受对案情的最容易 的解释, 但是如果暗示汤米有 罪那就错了,

Tommy didn't do it. He had to come up with an impressive argument

因为不是汤米干的。 他得想出一些给人深 刻印象的说辞

to put the implication off himself. He had to improvise an alibi.

摆脱干系。 他只好临时瞎编一个不 在犯罪现场的证据。

"I was over at my sister's home last night, really!" The cop gave Tommy an impatient look but kept listening.

"我昨晚去了我妹妹家 里, 真的!" 警察不耐烦地看了汤米 一眼, 但还是洗耳恭听

"And I, and I, and I went over to the bar for an impromptu meeting with my friends.

"我, 我, 我去了酒吧, 临时碰到 了几个朋友。

And, and, then we inaugurated a new tradition of drinking three shots of whisky

后, 后, 后来我们开始玩一个新 花样:喝三小杯 威士忌。

while standing on our heads. And, and that was why I was so drunk

倒立着. 因, 因, 因此我喝得烂 醉,

that I could not have possibly have done it, officer!" The imposing cop looked down at Tommy and had the impression that,

所以不可能是我干的, 警官!" 威严的警察低头看着汤 米, 他的感觉是

while this alibi may be a lie, Tommy really was innocent. "What an inauthentic piece of nonsense!" He said,

虽然这个证据可能是谎 言, 但汤米确实是清白 的。 "你可真会讲假话!" 警察说,

knowing it was still imperative that he lock someone up to calm the public down "I have the impetus to take you down town

他知道仍有必要扣押一 个人以平息公众的情绪 "我有一种推动力, 要把你带到市中心去,

and impose some pain on you until you tell me the truth." Tommy began to shiver.

给你尝点儿苦头, 看你说不说实话。" 汤米开始哆嗦起来。

Inbreeding among policemen must really be true; this cop was more stupid than a cow!

警察之间近亲结婚的 传言一定是真的, 因为这位警察比奶牛 更蠢!

"But if you get out of here, go back to your impoverished home and not impede my investigation any further.

"但是如果你离开这里, 滚回你那个穷家, 别再妨碍我办案,

I'll forget I ever met you!" Tommy understood the implicit opportunity to leave

我就当我没见过你!" 汤米明白这是不言明的 离开机会,

and implemented his immediate departure. "I guess cops aren't so dumb after all."

他立刻执行了离开的 命令。 "我想警察还是没有 那么笨。"

He thought as he left the street and headed home.

他一边想一边离开大 街往家中走去。

分享到