(单词翻译:单击)
There. I had something, and whipped my head around.
在那里。我发现了什么,迅速扭了一下头。
There was a small gap in the fence, two poles between which no adult person could climb, but I could smell Geoffrey—he’d squeezed through here.
栅栏上有一个小缺口,两根杆子之间没有成年人能爬过去,但我能闻到杰弗里曾经从这里挤过去过。
He had left the playground.
他离开了操场。
I ran back to Maya and alerted.
我跑回玛雅,提醒了她。
She was speaking to the policeman and didn’t notice at first, but then she turned to me, shocked.
她正在和警察说话,一开始并没有注意到,但后来她转向我,一脸震惊。
“Ellie? Show me!” We ran back through the rain to the two poles.
“爱丽?带我去!“我们冒雨跑回那个2个杆子所在的地方。
Maya peered through the small gap.
玛雅从那个小缺口往里看。
“Come on!” she shouted, running along the fence toward the front of the school.
“走吧!”她喊道,顺着栅栏朝学校前面跑去。
“He left the school grounds! He’s on the other side of the fence!” she yelled at the policeman.
“他离开了学校!他在栅栏的另一边!”她冲着警察大喊。
He ran after us.
那个警察在后面跟着我们。
From the other side of the fence I could smell Geoffrey at the two poles, and from there I could track which direction he’d headed.
从栅栏的另一边我可以闻到杰弗里在那2个杆子留下的气味,我可以据此判断他朝哪个方向走了。
Yes, he had gone this way! Abruptly the scent faded.
没错,他走了这个方向!但他的气味突然消失了。
Just two steps on the route he’d taken and I’d lost all sign of him, though it had been so strong there for a second.
他走了两步路,我就完全闻不到他了,尽管那地方本来有很强的属于他的味道。
“What is it?” the policeman asked.
“这是什么意思?”警察问。
“He might have gotten into a car,” Maya said.
“他可能上了一辆车,”玛雅说。
The policeman groaned.
警察嘟囔了起来。
I dropped my nose, and that’s when I picked it up again.
我把鼻子放的稍微低了些,然后我又闻到了他的味道。
I reversed direction, and the scent got stronger.
我转变方向,发现那个气味变得更强烈了。
In the street, water rushed down in a steady stream by the curb, gurgling into a storm drain.
街上的水源源不断地从路边流下来,汩汩地流进下水道。
I shoved my snout into the gap, ignoring the smells carried into the drain by the rushing water, and concentrated on my nose.
我把鼻子塞进缝隙里,不去理会冲进排水管的气味,把注意力集中在鼻子上。
If I wanted to, I could wriggle through that gap and into the loud, wet drain, but there was no need to—I could smell Geoffrey now;
如果我愿意,我可以钻过那个缝隙,钻到又响又湿的排水管里去,但是没有必要——我现在可以闻到杰弗里的气味了。
he was right in front of me even though I couldn’t see him in the darkness.
他就在我的前面,尽管我在黑暗中看不见他。
I looked up at Maya.
我抬头看着玛雅。
“My God, he’s in there; he’s in the sewer!” Maya shouted.
“天哪,他在里面;他在下水道里!“玛雅喊道。
The policeman popped on a flashlight and beamed it into the storm drain.
警察打开手电筒,把它照进了下水道。
We all saw it at the same time: the pale face of a frightened little boy.
我们都同时看到了:一个吓坏了的小男孩的苍白的脸。
