(单词翻译:单击)
Jakob was far better at work than Maya.
相比玛雅,雅各布工作得更得心应手。
But Maya didn’t carry that inner core of sadness with her all the time;
但玛雅的内心深处并不会时时笼罩着一种悲伤的情绪;
she felt genuine joy at Mama’s house, where there were all the children to play with.
她在妈妈家里能感受到真正的快乐,而且妈妈家里还有很多小孩子可以一起玩。
Yet Jakob didn’t have any cats.
但雅各布不像玛雅那样养了猫。
I had a clear purpose—to Find, Show, and save people.
跟雅各布在一起时,我的目标很明确——找人、带他去看、救人。
I was a good dog. Both Maya and Jakob were focused on work, and that meant neither one of them could ever love me with the utter abandon of Ethan.
我是一只好狗。玛雅和雅各布都专注于工作,这意味着他们都不可能像伊森那样全心全意地爱我。
But Maya embraced me with an unguarded affection that Jakob never allowed himself to feel.
但玛雅会毫无防备地拥抱我,而雅各布却从来都不会让自己有这种感觉。
I began to pace anxiously.
我开始不安地踱步。
“Do you need to go out?” Maya asked me.
“你需要出去转转吗?”玛雅问我。
I heard “out,” but she didn’t say it with any enthusiasm, so I didn’t react.
我听到了“出去”这个词,但她说的时候似乎热情也不大,所以我也没有做出什么反应。
“No, when she needs to do that, she sits by the door,” Jakob said.
“不,当她需要出去转转的时候,她会坐在门边,”雅各布说。
“Oh. Right, I’ve seen her do that,” Maya said.
“哦,有道理,,我确实见过她那样做过。”玛雅说。
“I just leave my back door open a lot of the time, so, you know. She can come and go.”
“我会一直把后门开着,所以,你懂的。她可以随处溜达。”
They were silent for a bit.
他们沉默了一会儿。
I eased into the kitchen, but as usual the floor was antiseptically clean, free of anything edible.
我小心翼翼地走进厨房,但和往常一样,地板还是那样干净,没有任何东西可以吃。
“I heard you’re taking disability,” Maya said.
玛雅说:“我听说你在领残疾补贴。”
“Yeah, well, I’ve been shot twice in five years; that’d be enough for anybody,” Jakob replied with a gruff laugh.
“是啊,五年内我中过两次枪。这对任何人来说都不是小数了。”雅各布笑着回答,语气有些生硬。
“You’ll be missed,” Maya observed.
“大家会想你的。”玛雅说。
“I’m not leaving town, I’m enrolled at UCLA. Full-time, I only have a year and a half left for my law degree.”
“我不会离开这个城市,我在加州大学洛杉矶分校上学。是全日制的,我只剩下一年半的时间就能拿到法律学位了。”
There was another silence.
又是一阵沉默。
A tiny signal of distress came off of Maya, something I’d noticed before when others tried to talk to Jakob and instead wound up sitting there without saying anything.
我从玛雅身上感受到了些许难受。我以前也有在其他人身上注意到过:其他人有尝试和雅各布说话,但最终都没有张口。
Something about him made people uncomfortable.
他身上的什么地方会让人感到不舒服。
“So when are you up for certification?” Jakob asked.
“那么你什么时候拿认证呢?”雅各布问道。
