(单词翻译:单击)
But Ethan was so excited, I couldn’t help but prance around at his feet.
但伊森太兴奋了,我忍不住在他脚边跳来跳去。
He put some cans on a fence and shot the gun and the cans went flying.
他把一些罐子放在篱笆上,开枪,罐子就飞了起来。
I couldn’t quite understand the connection between the cans and the loud bang of the gun but knew it was somehow all related and, judging from the boy’s reaction, gloriously fun.
我不太明白罐头和枪声之间的联系,但我知道这一切都是有联系的,而且,从伊森的反应来看,这是非常有趣的。
Flare snorted and trotted to the far end of her yard, distancing herself from all the commotion.
耀斑哼叫了一声,跑到院子的另一头,想远离这躁动声。
After that the boy made dinner by warming up some succulent chicken.
之后,伊森做了晚饭,热了一些多汁的鸡肉。
We sat in the living room and he put on the television and ate off of a plate in his lap, tossing me pieces of skin.
我们坐在客厅里,他打开电视,从腿上的盘子里拿东西吃,把一片片的鸡皮扔给我。
Now this kind of fun I understood!
现在这种乐趣我很懂!
At that moment, I didn’t care if Mom ever came back.
那一刻,我不在乎妈妈是否回来了。
After I licked the plate, which the boy left on the floor, I decided to test the new rules and climbed up in Grandpa’s soft chair,
我舔了舔男孩留在地板上的盘子,决定测试一下新规则,便爬上爷爷的软椅,
looking over my shoulder to see if I’d draw the expected “Down!” command.
想看看我是否会如期地听到“下来!”的命令。
The boy just stared at the television, so I curled up for a nap.
但伊森只是盯着电视看,所以我就蜷着身子打了个盹。
I drowsily registered the telephone ringing and heard the boy say “bed,” but when he hung up he didn’t go to bed;
我迷迷糊糊地注意到电话铃响了,听到伊森说“睡觉”,但他挂断电话后并没有去睡觉。
he sat back down to watch more television.
他坐下来继续看电视。
I was in a solid sleep when a sudden sense of something wrong roused me with a jolt.
我正在酣睡时,突然感到有什么事不对劲,把我惊醒了。
The boy was sitting stiffly upright, his head cocked.
那男孩笔直地坐着,抬着头。
“Did you hear a noise?” he whispered at me.
“你听到什么声音了吗?”他低声对我说。
I debated whether the urgency I sensed in his voice meant that my nap was over.
我思忖着,在想他声音里的紧迫感是否意味着我的小睡结束了。
I decided that what was needed was a calming influence, and lowered my head back on the soft cushion.
我觉得现在需要的是一种镇静的力量,便低下头,靠在软垫子上。
From within the house there was a light thump. “Bailey!” the boy hissed.
屋子里传来一声轻微的敲击声。“贝利!”伊森小声地说。
Okay, this was serious.
好吧,看来这件事很严重。
I got off the chair, stretched, and looked at him expectantly.
我从椅子上站起来,伸了个懒腰,期待地看着他。
He reached down and touched my head, and his fear leaped from his skin.
他俯下身来,摸了摸我的头,他的恐惧呼之欲出。
“Hello?” he called. “Is someone there?”
“有人吗?”他叫道。“有人在吗?”
He froze, and I emulated his posture, on high alert.
他静止不动,我模仿着他的姿势,高度警惕。
I wasn’t at all sure what was happening, but I knew there was a threat.
我根本不知道发生了什么,但我知道现在有威胁。
When another thump caused him to jump, fright rippling over his skin, I prepared myself to face whatever or whoever was the problem.
另一声敲击声使他跳了起来,他整个人都十分恐惧,这时候,我便准备好迎接面对任何人或者任何麻烦。
I could feel the fur rising on my back, and I gave a low growl of warning.
我能感觉到我背上的毛在慢慢竖起,我发出一声低吼警告。
At the sound of my growl, the boy moved soundlessly across the room.
听到我的低吼声,伊森则无声地在穿过房间。
I shuffled after him, still alert, and watched as he opened the gun cabinet for the second time that day.
我跟在他后面,仍然保持着警惕,看着他那天第二次打开枪柜。
