(单词翻译:单击)
【句子】I would like to submit myself to a lie detector test to eliminate any uncertainty about what happened with my husband. 【Desperate Housewives S02E03】
【发音技巧】would like to不完全爆破+失去爆破;submit myself两处不完全爆破;about what类似不完全爆破的处理;what happened with击穿+连读+闪音+类似不完全爆破的处理;
【翻译】我想做一次测谎测试,让大家都知道我和我丈夫到底经历了什么事。
今天节目中主要讲两个短语。
1. submit oneself to sth.
submit 这个单词大家可能知道,它可以表达“提交”这样的意思,但是它也可以表达“屈服、服从、使屈服”这样的含义。
“让自己经历、体验某一个不怎么愉快的事情;使自己遭受一些不太好的影响”;
to allow someone or something to undergo the effects of something
或者to allow oneself to be subjected to sth.
eg: He submitted himself to a search by the guards.
他自愿接受了守卫的搜查。
eg: You may voluntarily submit yourself to the jurisdiction of this country's courts.
你可以自愿服从这个国家的司法管辖。
除此以外今天视频中,我们再讲一个表达。
I’ll waive all that.
我放弃那样的权利。
waive是一个蛮正式的用词,
可以指:to not demand something you have a right to, or not cause a rule to be obeyed
“你放弃了你本来有的权利”或者“免除”,“使得一个规矩不被遵守”;
eg: The bank manager waived the charge (= said we didn't have to pay), as we were old and valued customers.
银行经理免除了我们的费用,因为我们是优质老客户。
eg: If the government waives (= removes) the time limit, many more applications will come in.
如果政府免除提交的时间限制,将会有更多的申请被提交。
eg: We have decided to waive the tuition fees in your case.
我们决定免除你的学费。
【尝试翻译以下句子,并留言在文章留言区】
The defendant has waived his right to a jury trial.
主播老师微信:teacheryaoyao7