(单词翻译:单击)
Chapter Seventeen
第十七章
Cars are fast.
车开得很快。
I never really knew this.
我之前一直都不知道车能开得这样快。
Back home, before Marshmallow went away, she used to run down into the street, barking at cars,
回到家,在棉花糖离开之前,她常常会跑到街上,对着汽车吠叫,
and they usually stopped, or at least slowed down enough that she could catch them,
而那些车通常都会停下来,或者至少放慢到棉花糖能赶上的速度,
though all she ever did at that point was veer off and pretend she never wanted to attack them in the first place.
尽管她每次的回应都只是改变方向,假装她一开始压根就没想攻击他们来着。
As I ran after the boy’s car, I had the sense that it was pulling farther and farther away from me.
我追着伊森的车跑时,我感觉车离我越来越远了。
The scent of dust and exhaust grew thin and tenuous, but I picked up a clear sign of a right turn where the road became pavement,
灰尘和尾气的气味变得越来越稀薄,但我注意到在车子驶到人行道时明显右转了一下,
though after that I wasn’t sure I could smell him at all.
不过,从那个节点开始,我就不确定自己是否能闻到伊森的气味了。
But I couldn’t give up; I turned myself over to the mindless panic and continued my pursuit.
但我不能放弃;我陷入无谓的恐慌中,继续追赶着车子。
Ahead of me I heard the loud rumble of a train, clanking and shaking,
我听到前面的火车发出隆隆声、叮当声和摇晃声,
and when I topped a rise and saw it I finally caught a whiff of the boy.
当我爬到高处时,我终于闻到了一抹伊森的气息。
His car, windows down, was parked on the road at the train crossing.
他的车车窗摇下,车停在与火车交汇的地方。
I was exhausted.
我累得不行。
I had never run so far or so fast in my life, but I ran harder still when the side door opened and the boy stood up.
我的狗生中从来没有跑过这么远、这么快,但当我看到车的侧门打开、伊森站了出来的时候,我跑得更拼命了。
“Oh, Bailey,” he said.
“哦,贝利,”他说。
While every part of me wanted to tackle him and be loved, I wasn’t going to miss my chance,
我只想抓住他,被他爱着,所以我不会错过这次机会,
and I veered from him at the last second and bounded into the car.
我在最后一秒改变了方向,跳进了车里。
“Bailey!” Mom laughed.
“贝利!“妈妈笑了。
I licked them both, forgiving them for forgetting me.
我舔了舔伊森和妈妈,表示自己原谅了他们把我抛在脑后的事儿。
After the train passed, Mom started the car and turned it around,
火车开过去之后,妈妈启动了车子,调了个头,
then stopped because Grandpa showed up in his truck—maybe he was coming home with us this time!
然后停了下来,因为爷爷开着他的卡车出现了——也许爷爷这次要和我们一起回家!
“Like a rocket,” Grandpa said.
“跑的真快啊。”爷爷说。
“Hard to believe he got this far.”
“他居然跑了这么远,真让人难以置信。”
“How long would you have gone, huh, Bailey? You doodle dog,” Ethan told me affectionately.
“你跑了多久,嗯,贝利?你这个可爱的大狗子,”伊森带着感情地对我说。
It was with great suspicion that I jumped into Grandpa’s truck, though —suspicion that proved justified,
不过,我最后还是抱着极大的怀疑跳进了爷爷的卡车,而且我的怀疑是对的,
because while Ethan and Mom drove on, Grandpa turned around and took me back to the Farm.
因为伊森和妈妈再次开车离开时,爷爷却调转头,把我带回了农场。
