(单词翻译:单击)
I was in a fury, completely oblivious to the fact that my mouth was filled with the unique flavor of human skin and blood.
我怒不可遏,完全没有意识到我的嘴里已经充满了人类皮肤和血液的独特味道。
A sudden piercing noise distracted me, and Todd managed to work his foot loose as I turned to look at the house.
突然,一声刺耳的噪音分散了我的注意力,当我转身看房子时,托德设法把脚从我嘴里挣脱了出来。
The indoor tree was totally aflame, and thick, acrid smoke was pouring out the front door and up into the night.
屋里的那棵树着火了,浓浓的刺鼻的烟从前门冒出来,在月色中翻滚着。
The electronic shriek was painfully high and loud, and I instinctively backed away from it.
电子设备发出的声音又尖又响,我本能地想要远离。
Todd stood and limped away as fast as he could, and I registered his retreat out of the corner of my eye, no longer caring.
托德站起来,一瘸一拐地想要尽快离开,我余光瞥到他在逃离,但此刻的我已经不再关心。
I sounded my own alarm, barking, trying to draw attention to the flames,
我自己也尝试发出警报,我叫着,试图引起人们对火势的注意,
which were spreading quickly through the house and were curling upstairs toward the boy’s room.
火势迅速地在房子里蔓延开来,盘旋着向楼上伊森的房间爬去。
I ran around the back of the house but was frustrated to discover that the pile of snow that had assisted me on my escape was on the wrong side of the fence.
我在房子后面转悠了半天,但沮丧的是,帮助我逃出来的那堆雪偏偏在篱笆的另一边。
While I stood there barking, the patio door slid open and Dad and Mom stumbled into view.
当我站在那里汪汪叫的时候,院子的门滑开了,爸爸和妈妈跌跌撞撞地出现在我的视野里。
Mom was coughing. “Ethan!” she screamed.
妈妈一边咳嗽,一边叫着“伊森!”。
Black smoke was coming out the patio door.
黑烟从露台的门里冒出来。
Mom and Dad ran to the gate, and I met them there.
爸爸妈妈跑到门口,我在那儿遇到了他们。
They shoved past me, running through the snow to the front of the house.
他们跌跌撞撞地从我身边经过去,穿过雪地跑到房子前面。
They stood looking up at the dark window to Ethan’s room.
他们站在那里,望着伊森房间漆黑的窗户。
“Ethan!” they shouted. “Ethan!” I broke from them and raced around to the now open back gate.
“伊森!伊森!”他们喊道。我挣脱了他们,跑到现在打开的后门。
I darted through it.
我飞快地穿过后门。
Felix was outside on the patio, huddled under a picnic bench, and she yowled at me, but I didn’t stop.
费利克斯在外面的露台上,蜷缩在野餐长凳下,她对我叫着,但我没有停。
I squeezed through the patio door, my eyes and nose filled with smoke.
我挤过露台门,眼睛和鼻子里都是烟。
Unable to see, I staggered toward the stairs.
由于看不见,我只能踉踉跄跄地往楼上跑。
The sound of the flames was as loud as the wind when we went for a car ride with the windows down.
火焰的声音跟我们出去兜风时吧车床放下后听到的风声一样大。
The smoke was suffocating, but it was the heat that beat me back.
烟虽然呛人,但让我受不住的是高温。
The intensity of the fire burned my nose and ears,
大火灼伤了我的鼻子和耳朵,
and in frustration I lowered my head and ran out the back door, the cold air instantly salving my pain.
我沮丧地低下头,从后门跑了出去,冷空气立刻缓解了我的疼痛。
Mom and Dad were still yelling.
爸爸妈妈还在大叫。
Lights had come on across the street and in the house next door,
街对面和隔壁的房子里都亮起了灯,
and I could see one of the neighbors looking out his window, talking on the phone.
我可以看到一个邻居从窗户往外看,正在打电话。
There was still no sign of the boy. “Ethan!” Mom and Dad yelled. “Ethan!”
我还是没有看到伊森的踪影。“伊森!伊森!爸爸妈妈喊道。
