(单词翻译:单击)
Conetoe was a food desert.
Conetoe原本是一片不毛之地 。
But I wanted to do somethin' about it.
但我就是想让它变个模样 。
We began to grow, and we began to put our hearts and hands together, and Conetoe is no longer a food desert.
我们便开始在这里种庄稼,开始齐心协力地开发这片土地,如今的Conetoe已不再是昔日的不毛之地 。
Conetoe is a food oasis.
如今的Conetoe已经成了庄稼的绿洲 。
I'm Reverend Richard R. Joyner, founder of Conetoe Family Life Center.
我是理查德·R.乔伊纳牧师,也是“Conetoe家庭生活中心”的创始人 。
Conetoe is a rural area in the eastern part of North Carolina.
Conetoe是北卡东部的一个乡村 。
Population of about 300 people.
人口在300人左右 。
A food desert really means that the residents here do not have access to fresh, locally affordable grown foods.
“不毛之地”就意味着这里的居民吃不到新鲜且当地可负担得起的农产品 。
We would buy most of our food from discount stores, which are high in sodium, calories, very low in nutritional values.
我们大部分食物都是从折扣店买的,那些东西钠、卡路里的含量都很高,营养价值也很低 。
People had these early stages of chronic disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes, and even mental illness because of the stress and the pain.
因为长期食用这类食品产生的压力和疼痛,所以我们这边的人都有轻度的慢性病、糖尿病、高血压、心脏病、中风甚至是精神病 。
People were dyin' in their 30s and 40s.
大家三四十岁就早早地去世了 。
We would be havin' two to three funerals a month and really devastating families.
我们每个月都要举行两到三场葬礼,这对很多家庭都是毁灭性的打击 。
I was really feelin' overwhelmed, and feelin' hopeless, because I couldn't stop this chronic disease.
这个问题真的让我感到窒息,感到绝望,因为我无法阻止这些慢性病 。
I pulled on the side of the road and really started praying, wanting to know what could I do.
有一次我把车停在路边,开始祈祷,想知道我能做点儿什么 。
And I had this epiphany of open your eyes, look around.
我突然顿悟到,上天让我睁开眼睛环顾四周 。
And I'd open my eyes, and all I saw was fields.
我睁开眼睛,看到的只有田野 。
So, we started our first small garden.
于是,我们先是在这里开辟了一个小花园 。
And now we're up to 21 acres of farmland.
现在我们已经将这里开发出了21英亩的农田 。
We have about eight people that are parents and grandparents of our youth, that work here every day.
我们大约有8个年轻一代父辈或祖辈那一代的村民天天都来劳作 。
We have 40 students durin' the summer that use this farm for their readin', writin', math and science and for food.
今年夏天,我们有40名学生在这个农场上做阅读、写作、数学和科学等学科的作业,吃也是吃的这片农场上种出来的菜 。
Presently on our farm, we have blueberries, tomatoes; we have collards; we have squash; we have zucchini.
目前,我们种的有蓝莓、西红柿、羽衣甘蓝,还有南瓜 。
We end up averaging 100 pounds of food per week out of the garden.
现在,这个园子每周差不多都能摘100磅的果蔬 。
Food that we grow has had a tangible impact upon our community.
我们种的庄稼也对我们的社区产生了切实可见的影响 。
We're able to put food on people's tables.
我们已经有能力用我们自己种的菜招待大家了 。
Hello, I have your vegetables.
你好,你们家的菜来啦 。
Hello, Reverend Joyner. All right.
您好啊,乔伊纳牧师 。谢谢 。
Our community is spending $4,000 less a month on prescription pills,
现在我们社区每个月在处方药上花的钱比以前少了4000美元,
because the food... They are juicy!
因为我们种的这些东西……很美味多汁啊!
The deaths have slowed down; we're not havin' as many funerals.
去世的人少了;葬礼也没那么多了 。
I feel like we are makin' a difference.
我感觉我们社区的境况确实有所改观了 。
I love this community here because we're unitin' around savin' lives together.
我爱这个社区,因为我们团结在了一起,一起拯救了生命 。