(单词翻译:单击)
Often we'll make decisions when we're in an emotional state.
我们经常会在情绪激动的时候做决定
We'll make decisions at the end of the day when we're rushed.
我们会在一天结束的时候匆忙做出决定
We'll make decisions after we're irritated by a colleague, or pestered all day about something.
我们会在被同事激怒 或者为某事烦扰一天的时候做决定
One of the ways that we can alleviate that sort of burden is just to go for a walk.
其中一种减轻负担的方式就是去散个步
Does this decision need to be made right now?
这个决定必须现在就做吗?
If I go for a walk, is that going to change things?
如果我去散个步 是不是会有不一样?
If I wait till tomorrow morning, the old anecdote or the old advice to sleep on it
如果我等到明天早上 把问题留到第二天再解决的老传统
actually has a meaningful impact on dampening our emotions.
其实对缓和情绪有重要作用
Our emotions spike.
我们的情绪会瞬间高涨
And that's a signal to us that something's wrong, or something is important to us.
这说明出问题了 或者某事对我们很重要
We often view sort of intensity as a gauge of how important those emotions are to us.
我们通常会把强度作为测量这些情绪有多重要的标尺
We'll do these things in the moment because we're emotional.
我们当时会做这些事情是因为我们有情绪
And then we sort of regret it.
然后我们又会后悔
But then we also have to defend our actions, right?
但我们又得为自己的行为正名 对吧?
So we have this sort of like dueling inside of our head, where it's like, yeah, I shouldn't have done that.
所以我们的头脑中总会有两个小人儿在斗争 一个说 嗯 我不该那么做的
But, yeah, I was really mad. And I needed to express myself.
另一个又说 可是 我那时候很生气啊 我得表达自己的情感
And so we sort of like justify our own behavior.
所以我们会为自己的行为找借口
We want reduce the impact of those emotions.
我们想要减轻这些情绪的影响
We want to reduce sort of what's going on in the current moment.
想要缓解当时发生的事
And we want to get a better perspective on the problem.
我们想更好地看待这个问题
And to get distance from a problem, it helps to go for a walk.
为了远离问题 你可以去散个步
It helps to take time away from the problem, to sleep on it, to look at it in the morning.
可以暂时不去想它 可以带着它入眠 可以第二天早上再去想
Or what I often do is I mentally decide, here's my decision.
或者我一贯的做法是 从心理上决定
Now I'm going to sleep on it.
现在我要带着这个问题睡觉
And then I'll wake up in the morning and be like, how do I feel about that decision?
第二天早上醒来我会问自己 对昨天的决定感觉如何?
Because I'll trick myself into having made it.
我会骗自己已经做了决定
And if I have regrets, that's a sign that I might want to think about that problem a lot more.
如果我后悔了 这说明我还要再想想那个问题
And if I'm comfortable with that decision, then that's a sign that I'm probably on the right track.
如果我很满意自己的决定 这说明我的做法是对的
If I made the same decision when I'm emotionally engaged than when I'm not.
如果我情绪激动和不激动的时候做了一样的决定
But often, you don't want to decide.
但多数情况下 你并不想决定
You just want to delay that decision.
你只想往后拖延
Why do you have to make it now?
为什么非得现在决定呢?
Another way that we make bad decisions, or that we trick ourselves into making bad decisions,
我们做出错误决定 或诱使自己做出错误决定的另一种方式是
is that we just look for information that confirms to what we already believe.
我们只看得见支持自己早就相信的观点的信息
If people disagree with us, how can they be right?
如果别人跟我们意见相左 他们怎么可能对呢?
Because that means that we're not right.
如果他们对 就意味着是我们错了
So our ego doesn't often let this information in. It doesn't process it.
所以我们的自我不接受这种信息 它不会加工这种信息
But what we want to do is what Charles Darwin used to do.
但我们要做的是查尔斯·达尔文曾经做的事
We want to pull out a journal.
我们要记日记
And every time that something just disconfirms with what we believe,
每次出现与我们观点不符的内容时
what we know to ourselves to be true, we want to make a note of it.
与我们已知的东西不符时 我们要把它记录下来
And we want to start thinking about it.
然后对其进行思考
Because what we're really focused on is outcomes.
因为我们真正关注的是结果
We're not focused on being right.
我们并不关心对错
We're focused on being the best-- how do we create the best outcome possible?
我们要成为最好的 我们如何创造出最佳结果?
And every time that something disconfirms with something that we think or we believe, that's an opportunity to learn.
每当出现与我们的观点不符的内容时 就是我们学习的契机
Maybe they're right. Maybe they're not.
也许别人是对的 也许是错的
But to dismiss it out of hand without evaluating it is not doing ourselves justice towards outcomes.
但在没有评估的情况下就将其否决 对结果而言并不公正
And, finally, overconfidence is one of the other ways that we sort of lead ourselves astray.
最后 自负也是一个让我们误入歧途的因素
We take outsized risks.
我们会冒过大的风险
We believe that we have information that other people don't have,
我们认为自己握有别人没有的信息
which causes us to be overconfident, to do things that we otherwise wouldn't do.
这会让我们过度自信 让我们做本不会做的事
There's a couple of ways to address being overconfident.
有几种方法可以解决过度自信
One is just to recall all the times you've failed.
其一就是回忆你曾经失败的那些时刻
And if you haven't failed, then that's a problem.
如果你从未失败过 那就成问题了
But often, we're very confident.
但通常来讲 我们都很自信
If you calibrate your decisions, and I keep a decision journal, for example.
如果你调整自己的决定 比如 我会记决定日记
And I write down, here's what I think is going to happen.
我会写下来自己认为即将发生的事
Here's why I think it's going to happen.
及其原因
And often we get the outcomes we want, but not for the reasons that we thought we were going to get.
一般我们都会得到自己想要的结果 但原因却与我们预测的不同
And it's an effective calibration on what you know.
这对你已知的事情是有效的调整
It's an effective calibration against your overconfidence.
也是对你过度自信的有效调整
Because you realize that how much we don't actually know or how much we're right-- and it's not for the right reasons.
你会意识到我们有多无知 错的有多离谱——而且原因还不正确
We might get the right outcome.
我们可能会得到正确的结果
But it's not for the reasons that we predicted that outcome would happen by.
但产生这个结果的原因跟我们预测的完全不一样
And another way to sort of address overconfidence is just to have people check and balance you, right?
解决过度自信的另一个办法就是 让别人跟你抗衡 对吧?
Which is, no, I disagree with you.
也就是说 不 我不同意你的看法
And if we keep track of when people disagree with us is the opportunity for learning and exploring.
如果我们记录下别人与我们意见不同的时候 这就是学习和探索的机会
Like, why is it you disagree?
比如 你为什么不同意?
Is it you disagree with the variables that I think are relevant in this particular situation?
你是不同意我觉得跟这种情况相关的那些变量吗?
Do you disagree with how I think those variables interact in this situation?
你是不同意我对这些变量在这种情况中的作用吗?
Or do you disagree with my conclusion about what's going to happen?
还是你不同意我对即将发生的事情的结论?
And once you start honing in on that, that's an opportunity for learning.
一旦你开始琢磨这些东西 这就是学习的机会
And you're often not the expert that you think you are.
你并不总像自己以为的那么专业