(单词翻译:单击)
Peter Drucker famously said if I want to know what you believe I could ask you what you believe and maybe I’ll believe your answer.
彼得·德鲁克曾说过著名的一句话 如果我想知道你相信什么 我可以直接问你 或许我会相信你的回答
But show me your calendar and your bank statement and then I’ll really know what’s going on.
但是给我看一下你的日程表和银行账单 我就能搞清楚实际情况了
And what we tried to calculate was the altered state economy.
我们想要计算的是被改变了的国家经济
How much time and money do people spend trying to change the channel on normal waking consciousness
人们花了多少时间和金钱试图改变正常的觉醒意识
and unlock these heightened states of information.
并释放那些强烈的信息

We did a global calculation.
我们做了个全球调查
We looked everywhere from elicit to licit drugs which is an obvious place to start but we also looked at things like pornography and social media
我们研究了合法非法药物 这是很明显的一个着手点 还研究了色情文学和社交媒体
where the neurochemical reward you’re getting from these experiences is very similar to the neurochemical reward you’re getting in these states.
人们从这两种经历中得到的神经化学回报与精神兴奋时得到的神经化学回报极为相似
At the heart of a lot of this is the chemical dopamine.
这一切的核心就是化学物质多巴胺
Dopamine is a focusing drug.
多巴胺是一种聚焦药物
It’s a performance enhancing drug and it’s a pleasure drug.
它能够增强人的表现 还能让人产生愉悦感
It is also incredibly, incredibly, incredibly addictive.
而且还非常非常容易上瘾
Porn addiction is very much about dopamine, right.
色情上瘾很大一部分都与多巴胺有关
If you think about porn from an evolutionary point of view our sex drive is about procreation.
如果从进化论的角度来看待色情 我们的性欲就只是为了繁衍后代
We’re not getting any of that from porn.
但我们从黄色内容里得不到这一点
We’re not watching porn for what it makes us feel sexually.
我们看色情内容不是为了获得生理上的愉悦
We’re watching porn for what it does to us mentally.
而是为了获得精神上的愉悦感
It changes our state of consciousness.
它会改变我们的思想状态
It gets us high and it’s the dopamine that is getting us high.
我们感到很嗨 其实是多巴胺让我们有了那种感觉
It’s knocking outside of normal waking consciousness and it’s lifting us up to a heightened state.
它屏蔽了正常的觉醒意识 让我们达到一种高度兴奋的精神状态
Unfortunately porn on demand tends to be very, very addictive and people get into a downstream cycle with it.
不幸的是 目前人们对色情需求极其上瘾 而且会在堕落的死循环里一去不返
We see the same thing with social media, right.
社交媒体方面也是同样的情况
Simon Sinek famously says if you wake up in the morning and you’re checking your phone before you’re saying hello to your spouse that’s an addictive behavior.
西蒙·斯涅克曾说过著名的一句话 如果你清早醒来第一件事是看手机而不是问候你的伴侣 那就是一种上瘾行为
And it’s dopamine that is driving that addiction.
正是多巴胺在背后捣鬼
So what happens with social media is Robert Sapolsky who did the foundational research on this at Stanford calls it the magic of maybe.
罗伯特·萨博斯基曾在斯坦福做过一项基础研究 他把社交媒体方面的现象称为“可能性的魔法”
When you look at your phone and maybe there’s a text there and maybe there’s not and you don’t know.
你看手机的时候 可能会有一条消息 也可能没有 你并不知道
When it shows up that high you get, that’s dopamine.
当信息出现时 你感受到的那种激动 那就是多巴胺
It’s the magic of maybe. Maybe it’ll be there, maybe it won’t.
那就是“可能性的魔法” 可能有 也可能没有
When it shows up you get a 400 percent spike in dopamine.
信息出现时 你的多巴胺会激增400%
That is roughly the same amount of dopamine as you’re getting from cocaine.
这个量基本相当于吸可卡因获得的多巴胺量
It’s slightly less than an extremely addictive drug like cocaine. And that’s what’s happening.
它比可卡因这种非常容易上瘾的药物稍微低一点 情况就是这样
And it’s interesting because if you think about things that routinely produce a lot of dopamine – alcohol, for example.
这很有趣 想想生活中经常会产生大量多巴胺的东西 比如酒精
There’s a drinking age, right. We have a drinking age.
有合法饮酒年龄 我们有合法饮酒年龄
Alcohol releases a whole lot of dopamine.
酒精能释放大量多巴胺
It makes you feel really, really good.
会让你感觉醉生梦死
We say okay, you can have that but you’ve got to wait.
没问题 你可以这样 但你得等
You’ve got to be 21 years old.
必须等到21岁才可以
We don’t do that with online pornography.
但线上色情并没有合法年龄
We might want to do it with online pornography.
或许也应该给线上色情信息设置合法年龄
We don’t do that with social media.
社交媒体也没有合法年龄
We’re essentially putting highly addictive drugs into the hands of kids before they have any natural defenses against them.
我们其实就是在孩子还没有任何自然抵抗能力之前 把极易上瘾的毒品交到了他们手中
And what you’re seeing with internet addiction, with social media addiction, with porn addiction is the same thing over and over.
你所看到的网络成瘾 社交媒体成瘾 色情信息成瘾 都是一遍遍重演的相同事情
It’s people trying to change their state of consciousness with a device.
是人们试图通过一种设备去改变别人的意识
Trying to get at the underlying neurochemistry and it’s very, very addictive.
想要得到潜在的神经化学感受 这特别特别容易上瘾
