(单词翻译:单击)
If you have money that's been damaged in a fire, in a flood, that's been eaten by insects or animals,
如果你的钱被火烧毁了,被水浸湿了,又或者是被昆虫或是动物咬坏了,
we'll evaluate and determine how much is there and reimburse you for it.
我们会对这些钱进行估值,然后以相应的金额补偿给你 。
My name is Eric Walsh, I'm the assistant manager at the Mutilated Currency Division.
我是Eric Walsh,是毁损货币处的助理经理 。
Every year, the Mutilated Currency Division receives about 23,000 cases,
每年,毁损货币处都会接到将近23,000件毁损货币兑换事务,
people will send money that's been somehow damaged, and we reimburse, annually, about 40 million dollars.
人们把带有一定程度损伤的钱送到这里,我们负责给他们补偿,每年补偿的金额大约在4千万美元 。
It's a free service the government provides that we pay dollar in dollar out.
这是政府提供的一项以钱换钱的免费服务 。
We require 51 percent of the note present to pay on it and that just protects us from paying twice on the same note.
拿过来的钱的大小至少要占整张纸币的51%才可以兑换,这是为了确保同一张纸币不会重复兑换两次 。
Once we determine the amount, we will send a treasury check for what we discover.
确定了金额之后,我们会就我们的了解开一张支票 。
We're pretty low-tech here,
我们这里的修复技术还比较有限,
so the tools of the trade are scissors, knives, scalpels, glue and tape, and maybe a pair of tweezers.
所以我们干这行用的都是些剪刀啊、刀啊,手术刀啊,胶水和胶带,有时候还会用到镊子 。
The most challenging cases are usually cases that the money has gotten wet and sat for long periods of times,
最棘手的通常要数那些弄湿了又放了很长一段时间的那种钱,
and it'll actually petrify and be solid as a brick.
因为那个时候钱已经变硬了,硬得跟砖头都有一拼了 。
A lot of it is "the dog ate my money." We get hundreds of those cases a year.
很多客户过来都是因为“我的钱被狗子吃了 。”这种案例我们一年就要碰到几百次 。
A lot of people will hide their money in the oven and forget about it,
很多人都会把钱藏到烤箱,结果自己给忘了,
or they'll get it wet and put it in the microwave and that will ignite the currency.
或者他们把钱弄湿了就放到微波炉里烤,结果就给点着了 。
Our most infamous case took place in the '80s,
我们经手的后来流传最广的是80年代的一个案子,
and what happened was a farmer lost his wallet in a field and discovered that his cow had eaten it,
事情的原委是一位农民在田里丢了钱包,结果发现他的牛把钱包给吃了,
and we always encourage the submitter to send in the package as it is;
因为我们总是鼓励大家按原样把东西寄过来;
and the farmer sent in the cow's stomach,
结果他就把牛胃给寄来了,
which we were able to retrieve the wallet from and reimburse the farmer his currency.
我们还真的就从那里面把钱包取了出来,然后把农夫的钱补给了他 。
Our office consists of just under 20 people,
我们的办公室只有不到20个人,
and we have 12 people that examine and process the submissions,
其中12个人负责审查和处理提交的文件,
and they do roughly between 1,000 and 2,000 claims each year.
他们每年大约要处理1,000到2,000件索赔事务 。
We do get an increased amount of cases after a natural disaster.
自然灾害发生之后我们的业务量确实会加大 。
Over the past year between the hurricanes and wildfires out in California, we've reimbursed over two million dollars.
过去的一年里飓风不断,加利福尼亚还发生了大火,我们已经报销了200多万美元了 。
We're called upon when a lot of people hit their low point,
很多人陷入人生低谷的时候就是我们被召集起来工作的时候,
so any relief that you could provide someone after they lost all their money in a flood or after their house burned down is very rewarding.
当大家在洪灾或者大火中失去了所有的钱的时候,你能给他们提供的任何帮助都会是非常值得的 。
Hopefully we're a service that you will never need to use, but in case something does happen, we're here for you.
但愿大家永远都不会需要我们的服务,不过万一真发生了什么事儿,我们随时恭候您的到来 。