(单词翻译:单击)
For somebody driving into town the first time,
第一次开车开来这座小镇,
you wouldn't think there was a lot here because 95% of it is hiding underground.
你可能想不到这里其实住了很多人,因为我们95%的人口都藏在地下的
People drive in and go, Where is the place?
人们开来开去,就是找不到小镇的所在地
I don't understand.
我搞不明白
Coober Pedy is from the Aboriginal kupa-piti,
Coober Pedy一词来源于原住民语言中的“kupa-pit”
which means white man in a hole.
意思是“住在洞里的白人”
At the moment upstairs, it is about 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
现在上面的话大约有122华氏度
Down here we're sitting on about 71, 72 degrees.
但是我们坐的这个地方只有71,72华氏度
No air conditioner necessary.
我们不需要空调
We're right out in the middle of nowhere.
出去之后周围可以说是一片荒漠
It takes a day to drive here from Adelaide.
从这里开车去阿德莱德的话都要开一天
I'd say there's about 1,000 underground dwellings and at least 1,500 people living underground.
照我说,这地下住了差不多有1000户人家,至少是1500人
We've got five underground churches.
我们有五个地下教堂
We've got underground motels.
我们有地下汽车旅馆
There's some amazing underground homes here,
有些人家收拾地非常棒
many bedrooms, underground workshop,
有很多卧室,还有地下车间
you name it underground we've pretty well got it.
你随便说一个你想搬到地下的东西,我们差不多都有
I bought my dugout as a fairly small two bedroom dugout
当初买的时候这个地穴还比较小,只有两个卧室那么大
and I've been extending it over the years.
这些年我一直在搞扩建
Some of this I blasted out when I could get away with it.
有些地方能爆破我就爆破了
The cops don't like us blasting in town.
警察不喜欢我们在这个小镇上搞爆破
We don't do it anymore.
所以现在我们也不爆破了
Back in the old days, if somebody was gonna have a baby,
以前,要是有人要生孩子了
we'd rock around there with a couple of compressors on the weekend
周末的时候我们就会带着几个压缩机、
and some jackhammers, and a couple of cartons of beer,
手提钻和几箱啤酒去他们家
and by the Sunday night, we'd dug out a room,
到周日晚上,我们就能挖出一个房间来
cemented the floor, and mired it up,
地上铺上水泥,装饰一下
and, um, there's your new baby's room, honey.
亲爱的,你的婴儿房准备好了
Even though we're so far away geographically from anywhere else,
虽然我们距离别的地方都挺远的
I don't know why, but we just love the place to bits.
然而不知道为什么,这个地方我们就是爱得不行