Hold Them Accountable 让他们承担责任
日期:2018-06-30 16:46

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Welcome to English @ the Movies, where we teach you American English heard at the movies.
欢迎来到《看电影学英语》节目,我们在这里教授你在电影中听到的美式英语。
Our saying today is "hold them accountable", from the movie "The Post".
我们今天要学习的表达是hold them accountable,出自电影《华盛顿邮报》。
The film is based on the situation that happened in Washington D.C. in 1971.
这部电影是根据发生于1971年的华盛顿的真实事件改编的。
The publisher of the newspaper, The Washington Post,
《华盛顿邮报》的发行人,
had to decide whether to report the information the government was keeping secret.
不得不决定是否要报道政府在严格保密的相关内容。
Listen for the phrase "hold them accountable".
留意听一下hold them accountable这个短语。
If the government wins, the Washington Post will cease to exist.
如果政府胜诉了,那么《华盛顿邮报》就不复存在了。
If we don't hold them accountable, who will?
如果我们不能让他们承担责任,那还有谁能呢?
We can't hold them accountable if we don't have a newspaper.
如果我们没有了一家报社,那我们就不能让他们承担责任了。
What will happen if we don't publish?
如果我们不发表的话,会发生什么呢?

电影《华盛顿邮报》

So what do you think "hold them accountable" means?
那么你认为hold them accountable是什么意思呢?
Is it: make them take responsiblitiy or charge them a fee?
是让他们承担责任还是向他们收取费用?
Listen again, did you have the right answer?
再听一遍,你答对了吗?
If the government wins, the Washington Post will cease to exist.
如果政府胜诉了,那么《华盛顿邮报》就不复存在了。
If we don't hold them accountable, who will?
如果我们不能让他们承担责任,那还有谁能呢?
We can't hold them accountable if we don't have a newspaper.
如果我们没有了一家报社,那我们就不能让他们承担责任了。
"Hold them accountable" means make them take responsiblitiy.
Hold them accountable的意思是让他们承担责任。
Here, the newspaper publisher must decide whether to release information showing US officials were lying about the war in Vietnam.
在电影中,报纸的发行人必须决定是否要发表有关美国政府关于越南战争所隐瞒的内容。
Releasing the information may be illegal, but the film argues holding people in power accountable is one of the jobs of the meida.
发表这一内容可能是违法的,但是这部电影主张,让当权者负起责任是媒体的工作之一。
And that is English @ the Movies. I'm Kelly Jean Kelly.
以上就是今天的《看电影学英语》,我是凯利·珍·凯利。

分享到